Fun way to get 2 year old to speak more words?

My daughter is 18months, so not quiet two. But she is starting to talk. Sometimes she will say thw words nice and clear, but other times she won't say them at all. She may say a word twice but I'll never hear her say it again?

What are some fun ways to help promote her speach and get her to say new words?

casicielo

Asked by casicielo at 7:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• books
    make sure she is pointing to things in book and in life
    pointing very early sign of communication,and extremely important
    when she learns she can get your attention by pointing to things then you answer with excitement and her full attention (and silly voices is fun too) this will encourage her to communicate with pointing and then words too

sign language with the word has worked well with us, she ALWAYS used the word, never just the sign, so no worry that she is not using word, but some kids hold on to the word better when when thay have something concrete with it...
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• ~*Talk*~... talk to them while in the grocery store and shopping (See the yogurt, tastes yummy huh? You think we need this or that... etc)... talk to them at home (mommy is folding the laundry, do you like clean clothes, wanna help... etc.)... Talk and talk A LOT

Read books, dance/play, but the key is to "Talk Through Everything" using details so they pick it all up!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My son's the same way. I'm teaching him body parts by doing the game of "Mommy's nose... baby's nose.." then giving Eskimo kisses. He loves it-- and actually holds my face in his hands as we rub noses. Then I do "mommy's ear, baby's ear" etc.

I also got a Magna doodle and draw pictures on it and spell out the word. He likes to slide the eraser but I can tell he's looking at the picture.

Also, I've gotten in the habit of actually saying what something is. i.e. instead of "you want this?" I ask him "do you want the cracker?"

Fingerpaints are a great way to learn colors. I start with the basics-- red, blue, and yellow, and we blend the other colors together with those three.

have fun!

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 7:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Read, read and read!!! Speaking clearly and slowly so she will understand the correct way to speak. Talk to her and point out objects, repeat what she says. If she says, "duce say, "You want JUICE". Sing, do nursery rhymes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• All these ladies are right!! My daughter is 15 months and already making small sentences. We use all these thing to help her learn. I read her at least 3 books a night, we always ask her if she wants something by saying what is is and then making her say "please" and then whatever the thing she wants is. Also she likes to watch me talk on the phone. I put it on speaker when talking to grandma so she can hear both sides of the conversation. Today she was walking around with my phone saying "Hello...Hello. Who this. Thats good. What doing?" lol. The more hey hear speech the more they will want to speak! GL : )
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Singing. Kids usually love music and if they're encouraged with good music they'll expand their vocabulary. Also just general conversation.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• with my 2 year old we started kind of early with things i think when she started to say words at like around 10 months i think it was i would ask her if she wanted this or that if it was a cracker i would ask her to say cracker it took a while but it stuck eventually but i just asked and asked her to say words and they eventually became part of her everyday vocabulary. when she got the word right we made a big deal about it and said yeah good job that is it and all of that good stuff. and now we do high fives she is big into those and i also have started her on please and thank you then too if she did not say it she did not get it. it all takes time but they will get it as long as you make it fun and keep up with it and do not forget to do it.
    luv2run88

Answer by luv2run88 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2011