Worried

Is it weird that my kids aren't in school yet and I'm already worried about bullying? I am already worried they are going to commit suicide due to relentless bullying. They are both red heads and have the sweetest dispositions. My son is a bit of a whimp though, he cries at the littlest thing. I rmember being bullied as a kid and I made my first seriouse attmpt to kill myself at the age of 7, but lucky for me my mom is a penny pincher and watered down the bleach. So idk...I mean it is a legitimate worry because younger and younger kids are committing suicide maybe next week we'll read about a kindergardner who commited suicide due to bullying. And it seems like schools don't care sometimes or hand out pamphlets, a pamphlets not gonna cut it. But I'm just ranting I guess.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• How old are they? and ypu cant protect them from everything
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 7:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I am worried about it too. The world is a crazy mixed up place now. The only thing you can really do is to talk with your kids and keep "plugged in" about what is going on with them. Teach them about bullys (childrens books help) I taught my son early. He had a kid next door (we shared the backyard) that would hit him for no reason- albeit not hard. My son was 3 and 4 and the other kid was like 2. He would hit him with sticks in teh face and with his fist in the arm or body. We tried staying on the other side of the yard, avoiding him, talking to his parents, siblings, I tried calling him down, nothing worked. We even abandoned playing outside for awhile. But it was the only place to play so that didn't work either. I finally told my son to hit him back next time. I told him not above the neck or below the belt and not hard. The next time that kid hit my son he hit him back. (was a tap Really) Kid never bothered him again.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• im worried to. my son is 5. im not worried to that extent, but all you can do is teach them how to defend themselves against it, and teach them that the bullies do it b/c they feel like shit themselves.
    open communication is a must also. from the start, whatever they tell you, don't get mad. talk about it. kwim? that'll will teach them that they can come to you with anything, and you will be there for them.
    its all you can do really. kids get teased, they need to learn to get over it, and move on. bullying is totally dif, but if they are armed properly from the begining, they will be fine.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Kids are going to be mean.  I think at one point the majority of us are bullied, made fun of, etc.  I would say to keep close contact with whatever teacher they have and keep the lines of communication open with your children. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• HOME SCHOOL!!!! There is way to much crap that goes on at school!
    mom2twingirl797

Answer by mom2twingirl797 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Bullies are a part of life. If they don't learn how to deal with them as a child they will end up out in the real world trying to figure out how to deal with them when they are an adult... If you are paying attention to your kids and teaching them how to deal with this stuff, you won't have anything to worry about. We all faces bullies, and we're all here today.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I was teased constantly as a kid but I haven't really worried about my kids. They are 10, 9 and 8 and are friends with everyone in their classes. I've yet to see any bullying in the 3 schools they've gone to (2 public and 1 Catholic). I went to Catholic school and was treated so horribly I didn't want to go to school any more (especially in junior high).
    I've been teaching them to be strong and that it doesn't matter what other kids say and why would they want to be friends with kids that are mean to them. So far, though, it's never been an issue.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• All you can do is educate yourself and your children about bullying. Kids can be cruel and some adults too. Work on building self esteem and confidence in your children and let them know they can always come to you if there are problems at school.
    MrsLooney

Answer by MrsLooney at 2:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I can understand your pain... My son is 5 and started Kindergarten this year and he wears glasses and the kids give him a hard time about it. :(
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 30, 2011