Are you a Supporter of the Great American God-Out?

http://www.beyondchron.org/articles/The_Great_American_God_Out_6282.htm

Anti-Prop. 8 groups have taken to calling for the denouncing of any church for supporting a measure that basically reflects their values. They are piggy backing on the Atheists call for the Great American God Out.

Who thinks the Mormons haven't crossed the line?
Separation of church and state in the context of this nation's founding wasn't to prevent churches from being active in politics but to keep the state from creating a church such as Henry VIII did when he created the Church of England because the Pope wouldn't change the tenets of the Catholic faith to fit his decrees.

Unless the highest court in this land or Congress itself makes it clear that it isn't the case, the issue of defining a marriage is a right reserved to the states.

The people have voted.. What are NON Peaceful Protests going to accomplish?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I hadn't heard about this, I guess I haven't been paying attention. I wish that gays could get married, I don't want any churches that don't want to marry them to be forced to do so, I would happily support any proposal that gives PEOPLE EQUAL rights that doesn't involve them having to prove themselves "worthy", "religious" or "normal". If two people want to get married and build a life together for the love of God just let them. And for those who suggest that they also be able to marry thier pets because it's the same thing, well I'm not even going to address the hateful ignorance that blinds you to the difference between animals and PEOPLE.
    athenax3

Answer by athenax3 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Uhh. I feel like that's a loaded question. No, I would not have voted yes to Prop. 8, but I also wonder about what was being asked of the churches. I know is Mass., churches were getting into trouble for refusing to marry gay couples. In that case, I feel they were justified. I don't know too much about the situation in CA (I'm on the other side of the country), but I don't feel like I could be involved in any group that called their movement "The Great American GOD-Out." Nope.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• NO way will I get on board with a "God Out." I think we NEED God in the country, now more then ever.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Just the phrase "God Out" makes me extremely sad.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 2:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• No. I know there has to be some gay people that are fiercely religious. How does this sit with them? I think they would do better by finding another 'thing' to protest. What? I haven't a clue.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Hmmm, I am torn. I feel that religion is playing way too big of a role in our government right now. Sep of Church and State was for that AND for religion not being able to dictate law as the Pope did in England prior to the Church of England, and was doing in Spain and France.

However, I don't feel that churches should be held accountable for not wanting to marry a gay couple. They have that right, the church, should have the right to say no.

How about a Religion Out Day? I can get behind that. But I believe in God, and I believe God made the homosexual, and I believe that God created me to treat a homosexual as my equal and fight for all of their rights as I would want them to fight for mine.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I honestly do not think Mormons have crossed the line. They believe a certain way. Their congregation donated money. The church itself did not donate money to the campaign.
    Personally, I would have no problem with allowing same-sex couples to get married as long as it was left up to each church to decide. I think it is unfair to REQUIRE a church to perform the marriage of a Gay couple...
    Doesn't that infringe on the Seperation of Church and State?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• BUt I am not in CA and haven't see the commercials or ADs. So if I had all the facts, I would be more apt to make a further decision.
    From what I have read: Preachers have been fined and jailed (Sweden and Canada) for speaking out against homosexuality from their own pulpit. Or not agreeing to marry a Gay couple.

So, I can see why church members have stake in this issue. It's easy to say that a Gay couple would not get married in a church that didn't want them. But in this "sue happy" day and age, I can see a selected few looking to start a fight rather than getting the appropriate church to marry them... Look at the selected few who have displayed "angst" and verbal and agressive behavior.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• So should religious people not be allowed to vote?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

I think that is what some atheists believe...
    Anonymous