My dd is 19 mo and recently started giving my husband a hard time at bath and bedtime. how do i help resolve this.... adult content

We are expecting twins in 8 week, so I feel it is extremely important for her.to learn that dada will help with her daily things. However, she is having a hard time with him and he is trying so hard ;(. At bath she has screaming matches and it kills me to not go in and take over. Same at bed and story time. Thoughts? I am with her more of the day than he is, which may be why she is more attached to me

Mommytobe618

Asked by Mommytobe618 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try making it fun, like making up a silly song about bath time, or switching up her bath toys for new ones (DD prefers cups and spoons to regular bath toys), or adding bubble bath, or letting her help with washing herself and shampooing her hair. When my daughter started throwing tantrums at bath time, I started taking baths with her, and she really liked being able to splash Mommy, and pour water over my head, and help me wash my hair. If that didn't work, then we took a shower together, and she liked holding the shower head and spraying everything with it. Hope that helps. :)
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 7:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Have him explain to her it's daddy daughter time maybe he can take her out do something special with her
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 7:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• mabe she wants some mommy time
    cuppycake2009

Answer by cuppycake2009 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Make sure Dad stays calm. He should not be getting into a screaming match. Tell him to make it fun for her...bubbles maybe? and do the bath quickly if she is upset. Maybe some new books to read at bedtime. Maybe you could all do bedtime for awhile. Plus tons of cuddling.

When the babies come make sure you give her plenty of love and attention. Make it more about her for awhile. It is some of the best advice I ever got. I know how hard it will be with twins though.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I agree with elizabr...Daddy should not be getting into screaming matches. But I know that that is sometimes easier said than done, especially at the end of a long day. They make fun bath toys and other things...they make this one thing that is fizzy tablets that make the water turn red, yellow, or blue (and you can mix them to make the other colors.) My girls LOVE them.

I'd say just staying patient through the change and trying to make things fun are the best.

(P.S. I wouldn't like bath time either if it becomes a screaming match...it becomes a self perpetuating cycle, because if the last bathtime ended with bad feelings, she's going to remember it and it might start the next one off with bad feelings, which snowballs. So you have to cut off the negative cycle and start a happy one.)
    Maisy19

Answer by Maisy19 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 27, 2011