Do you buy both your children gifts on birthdays?

For example: My mother will buy my oldest a gift on my youngest sons b day just so he doesnt feel left out do you do this? I think it was ok when they were younger but now they are 5 & 7 and understand what exactly a birthday is and who its for

ExtremlyUnique

Asked by ExtremlyUnique at 7:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• My Mom always gave us goody bags. And the birthday kid got the gifts.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 7:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have only bought a gift for the child who is having the birthday.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• No I wouldn't do that they need to understand it's someone elses bday they need to be taught it's not always about them or always fun, I m sure they will have fun and be happy for the bday kid if they are taught to.plus they probably will get to play games and eat cake to so they are included.
    IloveJesus316

Answer by IloveJesus316 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Well my girls are very close in age so I did when they were younger then stopped when they were got old enough to understand.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• We never did it. If they were having a party we had goody bags for guest. Otherwise no. We did get my oldest son some special gifts the day of my baby shower though. That helped A LOT. He was almost 4.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My oldest and youngest were born on the same day 4 years apart well my middle child didn't get why they got presents and he didn't so we started giving him one on theirs and them one on his and just always did even though every one said we spoiled our kids but they grew to be very responsible independent kids
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I get mine something small but they are 3 and 1 and they dont understand yet but when they get older no I wont be doing this bc I think that it should be all about the one whos having the birthday bc its not like the other one dont have a birthday
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I do but they are twins! Lol. Other than that no.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 7:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My boys are 1 1/2 yrs apart- & when they were little, I did that too. I think they are old enough to understand now. but it's best to prepare them. Of course if G-ma wants to do it, I say let her do it. That's what G-ma's are for- to spoil them rotten! :0
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i only have one daughter but in my opinion they should be taught that a birthday is special and that's why we get a present...they learn to appreciate things more that way :) I can't stand spoiled kids. :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2011