How can I help my child learn to write?

A way that he wont get bored or frustrated?

ExtremlyUnique

Asked by ExtremlyUnique at 7:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is what we do at the preschool I work at. Get the "start write" paper. It has 3 lines the top is red, middle is yello and bottom is green. THey have others with out the colors too. the middle line is usually a dashed line. Write his name for him and have him trace it. Then when he gets a hang of that make his name with dots. Kinda like a dot to dot. Then write his name in a highlighter and have him trace that! That should work, make it fun and when he is really against it do not make him do it. A little side not never make it a punishment cause he'll never want to do it.
    whitefamily

Answer by whitefamily at 7:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• We have them doing it a few ways... we have the book and board type thing that use a dry erase pen... than they have the Leapster Explorers that they write on like a DS... I haven't used the IPhone apps but heard they are on there too
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• They have practice workbooks for all ages/grade levels. You can also have the alphabet strip hanging somewhere- and lable things to make your own sight words (like door, window, etc) Let him journal - where they dictate to you, so they can see that their words have meaning. You can pick a letter for the day, & find things around the house that start w/ that letter. You dont necessarily have to practice writing every day to help him learn the concept. Have fun w/ it :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My son loves his leapster, that has a lot of tracing the letters. Or even go to the dollar store and get one of those books that has the letters written out and you trace them. Don't make him do it for any longer than 15 mins at a time ... but do it daily and he'll get it.
    MrsNewman

Answer by MrsNewman at 7:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2011