Why is hoarding becoming such a problem?

There is the TV show hoarders - is it because people could afford to buy and buy and buy? Your thoughts?

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think they have ALWAYS been around, it's just that there was never a show highlighting this form of mental illness, and hoarders were masterful at hiding their extreme hoarding tendencies.

Most of the people have suffered severe losses (or they perceive them to be severe), and hoarding has become their "coping" strategy. I watch the show with complete fascination, horror, and disgust--I find human psychology to be incredibly interesting!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• There are deeper issues involved in hoarding, other than just wanting stuff. Some are really sad. Maybe it's not that the problem is growing so much as it's just gaining much more attention because the shows are popular.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I don't think it's a new problem, I think that with reality shows, we're starting to see more of the problems that have always existed. I'm 49, and off and on through out my life, I've met people who lived that way.

I had a friend in high school who I adored, and whose parent were wonderful people, but she rarely wanted to have people over because you could hardly walk through the house because of the piles and piles of things....I doubt if the actually cooked in the kitchen because the counters were piled with stacks of paper. It was really bad.

I've seen other homes that were stuffed full of things, and filthy dirty...it's hard to clean when a house is packed full.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think sometimes people just don't know how to say no.  People hand over stuff and even though the hoarder doesn't really want it, they keep it anyways.  I'm guessing, of course.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• No, it's not that. If that were the case rich people everywhere would look like they lived in expensive garbage cans. That's a mental illness and I'm sure people have been hoarding for a long long time, but it was made as widely known as it is now with that show. I can't stand clutter and I don't know how those people live like that. I saw one where they found dead animals trapped underneath all of their crap. YUCK!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• People kept it behind closed doors but now thats its on tv more people are coming forward.I think its an emotional problem.I feel so sorry for those that are hoarders.
    momofsixangels

Answer by momofsixangels at 7:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• They have always been around but it is just recently when people have been looking at what p[eople do behind closed doors because its on tv
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Hording isn't 'suddenly' becoming a problem. It is a Mental Compulsion disorder in which people use material items to surpress emotional feelings of a tragic or otherwise emotional event/feeling. It isn't anything new it is just being widely publisized more as the trend to expose people's lives is taking off. As stated, Hoarding is a mental disorder where a individual compulsively hoards material items in their home. It can be because of someone dying, someone sticking around that caused them emotional stress, or any number of different reasons. It's usually triggered, but can also be a learned behavior. It isn't something that they can easily control, even if they recognize the behavior in themselves. That is why it is a compulsive disorder rather then an addiction.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• eh..what happened to the pic??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• *but it wasn't made as widely known....
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2011