Do you put a single space or double space at the end of a sentence?

I know, I know, this is not earth shattering - but for all of you obsessive compulsives out there - you might enjoy this article ...

You Can Have My Double Space When You Pry it From My Cold, Dead Hands

http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/11/01/you-can-have-my-double-space-when-you-pry-it-from-my-cold-dead-hands/69592

Oh, and go ahead and recat, if you must, I thought it fit best in "Back To School" ....

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in

• What amuses me is a fellow writer just posted an article decrying the "misuse" of the double space between sentences last week. I wonder if I can find that piece again. ;)

Technically speaking, the typographical powers-that-be support a single space norm. Double spacing between sentences goes back to the pre-word processor days of limited fonts. At the time, the spacing off a typewriter made it difficult to discern the end of sentences so people began to 'cheat' by adding the extra space. Those of us that learned "old school" keyboarding or from old-schoolers learned double space. As a former journalist turned marketing exec, I had that habit drummed out of me by editors and supervisors. :) The industry standard today is to single space.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Double, like you're supposed to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• single here
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I was always taught double.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 8:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I double space at the end of a sentence.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Double; as you should.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 8:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• double. That is the correct way.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It used to be double but a few years ago they changed it back to a single space. Since most people now use computers instead of type writers...
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• The article was interesting and the arguments in the comments were either hilarious or thought provoking. (Yeah, I am a dork.) I have always used double spacing but I am rethinking that now.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It depends on which form you are using. APA or another format. Some of my instructors say double between sentences after a period. Some say single, while others don't even care which you use. I usually use 1 space because that is what I am used to. My mom still uses 2 because that is what she is used to.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2011