My daughter just old me she has a girlfriend.

It's not that I think it's bad or anything, I mean the whole being gay thing, in fact it's fair enough. I experimented once too, but I'm not sure what reaction she wants off me. She's 15, what would you do in this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• tell her about adam and eve. not eve and eve lol.
    Anonymous

• Just let know that you support her and be there for her. Also talk to her about safe sex bc you always hear about it for straight couples but not so much for gay couples. Let her know that she could still get an STD.
    Anonymous

• Ya.. my oldest daughter is 15 also.. I mean, what are you supposed to do right? LOL, I agree with anny. make sure you drill in the STD's that can come from just ORAL and REGULAR SEX!!!! :::shivers::: The lady on t.v. the other day with throat cancer from HPV freaked me out! Too many nasty things out there.. I don't even want to shake hands with anyone anymore!!!
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 2:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Well your daughter is very luck to have a Mom who doesn't have issues being with being gay. At such a young age it may very well be experimental or it could be she is lucky enough to know who she is. I myself did not come out of the closet until I was 28 and I only wish I had been true to myself a whole lot earlier in life- would have saved me from a lot of heartache. I am not so sure she is looking for anything but acceptance from you. To show your support have her girlfriend over for dinner, get to know her like you would if she had a boyfriend. Encourage a healthy relationship as you would if she had a boyfriend. Showing your support for who she is now is going to make a huge impact on her life no matter what the outcome. Kudos for being there for her Mom! :)
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• well good for you or not judging her on it. after all she cant choose who she wants to be attracted to. id just make sure to talk to her about safe sex and hpe she understand enough that she can still catch something even from a same sex partner.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I am very concerned about this whole"gay" thing. why? WEll, my whole life I have been exposed to gay lifestyles and I honestly believe this is now a fad or a teen "cool" thing. It is statistically impossible for so many teens to be "gay". I have no quirks if a child is genuinely gay or is experimenting because emotions and sexual urges are so confusing as a teen. What I am angry about are those who decare Gayhood when they aren't at all. This is very insulting to the gay population. Talk to your kids and discuss what"gay" really is and means and that "being gay" i s not the reason to "be gay".
    wakenda

Answer by wakenda at 2:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You are so lucky that your daughter loves and trusts you enough to tell you about what is going on in her universe. What response is she looking for? YOURS!! Listen, be supportive, and you don't need to "fix" anything. Talk to her and ask questions that help her cope with the realities of her life. How will she cope with teasing from classmates? How will she cope with family and friends that are less than supportive? Who does she want to know right now (her choice and let her know that its not because you think it is a secret but that you respect her privacy)? This may be a "phase" but perhaps not. I'm not a big believer in saying it is a phase. You don't have to don a t-shirt that says I'm a proud parent of a Lesbian but you can be proud that your child talks to you about sex, sexuality, and informs you of what is going on in her life.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Hug her and treat it as you would any other relationship at this age.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I have a 17-year-old cousin who claimed to be a lesbian...and we just found out she's pregnant. How does that work? Tell her you support her either way and see how she reacts, it is possible she's just trying to get a rise out of you...and yay for you for not letting it work! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 8:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• makes sure she knows about the dangers of oral sex!
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 8:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2008