When did you first become aware of Disney princesses and the influence they have on girls?

PD: How can an alert parent counteract the cultural influences of things like Disney princesses?
PO: Parenting is always present tense. I wanted to give parents a toddler to tween arch, but these issues are ongoing. You're not going to be able to avoid these images. They're everywhere. You can't walk into a store without being bombarded by them.
When do all these cultural messages really begin to sink in with girls?It really starts to sink in when they are around 2 1/2, 3 years old. That's when they started realizing there is this thing called "girl" and this thing called "boy" and they want to be a girl. They start thinking about what makes a girl a girl and what makes a boy a boy.
They might not want you to dress them in pants, for example, because they think you're trying to turn them into a boy.

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Seriously? Who comes up with this stuff?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Huh?
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 8:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I can not stop laughing.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 8:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I agree with the 2 above...my girls were never influenced by princesses. In fact none of the 3 of them (now 10, 8 and 4) have much interest in princesses. Their favorite Disney movie is Wall-e and they really don't pay much attention to the princess movies.
    Besides, what's wrong with wanting to be a princess?
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i wouldnt look that much into it lol its disney princesses!
    knm51504

Answer by knm51504 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I don't think it's just Disney princesses that have these influences on girls, but I get the point. The one thing I don't like about the Disney princess thing is when the princesses are helpless and need princes to rescue them, although I do think Disney is getting a little better about this.

I don't have an issue with my girl being into "girl" things, but I don't discourage her from "boy" things either. I would do the same with a boy and I understand that not everyone agrees with this.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My daughter loved the princesses, and I liked it. I didn't see any negatives to it at all. But when we were talking about them, we talked about how strong Pocahontas was, how independent Jasmine is, how nice Cinderella is, etc. in addition to how "beautiful" they are.

Answer by missanc at 8:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Let's see, my daughter is 16 and her favorite Disney movie when she was 4 was Winnie the Pooh. She was never big on the Princess movies. Wants to be a "girl".....she's now 16 and is looking at becoming a forensic scientist.....a typically male dominated field.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Are you trying to suggest that girls want to be dressed in dresses and skirts because of the Disney princesses?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• What a load of crap...there's nothing wrong with disney princesses or with girls liking fancy dresses, etc. My girls and I all like the disney princesses and as far as expecting a "prince" to rescue them...well, they were all taught from the start that shows, stories, etc are make-believe...besides which they don't need rescuing...they can all "kick butt" pretty well on their own.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011