Tax Question (sorry).....But hubby owes!?

And for starters please dont tell me to look it up myself, I am working on that just want to see if any one else has been in my position....

Hubby and I got married last year, so were filing taxes jointly..we have two children...problem is he owes..both federal and state.

I'm pretty sure were eligible for quite a few credits for being full time students, low income and such...my question is...would those credits apply to what he owes, or would they just take what he owes from what would be our refund!? Ive never really understood how "credits" work...

Thanks!!! :)

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• The refunds will go to what is owed. The irs has the injured spouse form you may want to look into.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If you file jointly all the credits will be put towards what he owes, if there is anything left after that is paid you will get as a refund.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 8:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Some credits get subtracted from what you owe and some deductions gets subtracted from your income to lower your income before you figure what you owe. I hope that made sense. Some affect your income and some affect what you owe. Read the 1040 instructions and see if you qualify for all the different credits/deductions. There are many and worth the effort to get every single one. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You wont loose your credits for 2010. I have seen people get money back for the years that they do not owe...but most likely though your balance will go to what you owe.
    Anonymous

• Finally held on for the IRS and lovely, it comes directly from the refund!! I would file the injured spouse form..but at this point I want the slate to be cleared They can take that bit of money and keep it!! As long as they wont try to garnish wages or anything else I can live with getting little to no refund money!! :) Thanks for your help ladies!
    sweetstkissez22

Comment by sweetstkissez22 (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2011