Would you say something or let it go? (Maybe vent)

Would it bother you if a child wasn't wearing the correct size clothing?

I watched a little girl who is 3. She's the size of my 2 year old, but he's wearing 24mo-2t clothes...the occasional 3T pants cuffed at the bottom. She, however, came to my house wearing 12 month pants as capris. I went shopping with her mom last month. Saw her purchase 4T clothes for her child (so she can grow into them and avoid having to buy more clothes) and for her birthday, my husband and I purchased some 3T clothes that looked like they fit her perfectly. But she came over to my house in 12 month bottoms. It's not the first time either. Seems every other day she's wearing 12 month stuff.

I normally think...it's not my child, so ignore it. I would also think not everyone has money. I remember growing up wearing hand me downs, thrifts, garage sales...and -gulp- the years my mom decided to MAKE my clothes...so I know clothes shopping is rare, but I was at least in the appropriate sizes. I know she has clothes and seeing her every other day in sizes she should be out of is just irking me. Probably venting, but since her mom knit picks and comments about my kids and parenting...I almost want to just SAY something, but "if you can't say something nice..."

If you see this regularly...would you say something or would you let it go?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 8:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Seeing she is saying things to you, I would say something to her. I had to do it all the time when I was a day care provider. We would just change the child and tell the parents that the clothes that they had on were getting too small. Or if shoes were too tight, we took them off and tied them together and let the parents know that the shoes were pinching toes. My son has never worn ill fitting clothes or shoes, and I am a single parent barely making it. I am especially anal about proper fitting shoes, my son has issues with his feet, legs and hips so proper fitting shoes is a must.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My kids sometimes wear pants that are too small as capris. They fit them just not in length. That I see nothing wrong with. However, ill fitting clothes that don't fit them in any manner isn't something I would do. I think that it would be harmless to ask her why she has her daughter wear clothes that are too small for her. It could be that she's trying to get as much life out of them as possible, or that she's just lazy. Either way, it won't hurt to ask casually.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would say something that bothers me also but say it in a polite way
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 8:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• my step daughters mom used to do that....it looked stupid but it really didn't hurt anything other than she put shoes on her that were WAY too small. That was a big issue. She had good clothes at our house but her mom still buys her stuff that is ridiculously stupid looking.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 8:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If you notice the clothing cutting into her or pinching, etc., maybe you could say something about that rather than just straight up asking why her kid is always in too small clothes? Many kids that young will just suffer in silence because they don't know any different when something is constrictive or pinching, etc., so maybe if you brought it to mom's attention, she'd be receptive?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I use to watch my gfs kids and she'd bring her 3 year old daughter over in clothes 2 sizes too small.  I wasn't irritated or anything, but it did cause me to ask her if she wanted to start the pass me down thing since my 3 year old is a little bigger than hers.  In any other circumstance no I wouldn't say anything.  No, I wouldn't dress my kids in clothes that are too small or too big because I had to do that when I was little.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• This would bother me too. My cousin has 4 girls ages 5 and under. They can't really afford to have that many and so all their clothes are faded and a lot of times the wrong sizes. I feel bad for them. Every time I go to a birthday party for any of them I always buy a new dress or something since even the oldest one gets handy me downs from her cousin so even she doesn't get many new things. I feel bad for them, the mom doesn't take care of the clothes very well either so by the time something gets to the third dd, it's stained. I don't say anything because they can't afford it anyway.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• OMG my MIL who is raising my husbands brothers kids does this ....

Nephew is a very HUSKY 7 year old... and probably needs atleast a size 9 - 10.....but she thinks that since he is 7 years old, that means he needs to wear size 7 ... he has way to short pants and way to tight ( we did talk her into atleast getting size 7 husky) ... his shirts show his belly everytime he moves his arms and it just looks badly .... It is annoying because we have even bought him bigger clothes ( size 8 ) and she puts them away until he is 8 !!!! I seriously just want to shake her and tell her to wake up....

atleast Niece is small and fits into size 9 clothes lol ( she is 9 )
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• And the mom's told me...she waits for holidays so her parents see her child dressed like that, she gets new clothes...but why doesn't she USE the new clothes? I don't know if she's doing that with her kid to me so I'd be inclined to buy her kid new clothes, but I had to deal with that with my nephew once upon a time. I've got four kids of my own and I still can keep up with new clothes since my oldest boy was tall and skinny and my baby is thicker...so new sizes for him too, but it just irks me and since she can speak her mind around me about what I'm "doing wrong" I really want to...-sigh-
    Imortlmommy

Comment by Imortlmommy (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think it's none of your business. Maybe she uses the smaller clothes as "play clothes", since it seems to me that you see her in them when you watch her. Regardless, unless it's hurting the child in some way, I'd stay out of it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011