anyone stopped nursing at night (cuz it sux) but kept nursing during the day? if so HOW??

my son is 13 mo and i love nursing him. i dont want to stop; but i cannot handle nursing 2 or 3 or 10 times thru the night! i need sleep! i also have a 3 yr old, so i cant just nap when he napping.

is it possible to just give up at night; or do i have to give up 100% just to get some sleep at night?!

Arrrhhhg!!!

Thx in advance
Stephanie

RowanandOrion

Asked by RowanandOrion at 2:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tbabygurlcramer - Her child is barely past the 1/2 way mark of the MINIMUM recommendation by the WHO. He is only too old to be nursing when he wants to stop.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• well i only breastfed my son till he was 9months and he was sleeping through the night.
    id say give him a bottle but hes to big for that. i suggest you let him learn to sooth himself back to sleep he doesnt need to be nursed in the middel of the night anymore hes 13months for goodness sakes.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Roo stopped nursing at night except when on a growth spurt or teething when she was 10 days old. She still nurses during the day when I'm home. During the week, while I'm working, she nurses mornings and evenings.

Someone else may be able to help if you're trying to make him night wean, I don't have experience with that...Roo nurses when she wants/needs to.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Even though I was a breastfeeding failure, by 8 or 9 months of age we stopped giving her a bottle in the middle of the night. My pediatrician told me that by that point their stomachs are big enough to last through the night. It took a week or so of just holding her when she cried and soothing her that way but eventually she started sleeping longer and then eventually through the night.

Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• MY DAUGHTER IS ONE YEARS OLD AND I AM ABOUT TO STOP. THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT....WHAT YOU DO IS SKIP A MEAL AND REPLACE IT WITH REGULAR MILK. IF YOU DONT THEN HE WILL JUST KEEP WANTING BREASTMILK. HE IS GETTING TO OLD TO BE ON THE BREAST.
    Tbabygurlcramer

Answer by Tbabygurlcramer at 5:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2008