do you wish someone would have sat u down and warned you?...and you'd listened

Do you wish now someone would have told you that you were making a huge mistake marrying someone with kids from a previous marriage/relationship? My step daughter is the thorn in everyone's side other than her dad's but even he is getting fed up with her games. We only have 3 more years and she can get out. I'd never trade my husband for anything in the world but I wish we didn't have to deal with her crap, her mom, etc. I just want it all to be OVER. Have you made this "mistake" and having to live with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• You would not have listened.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• unfortunatley, i had to deal with something similar with someone i was with..& we are no longer together, for that reason, among other things.but its sad.i loved him, & its something u cant change. u feel powerless & stuck
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• WOW OK I understand she is difficult to deal with but that is still your husbands daughter maybe you guys the parents should get to the root of her problem she maybe acting out lack of attention, she may feel like you took her father from her & her mother it could be allot of different things Good luck & I hope you guys can work something out instead of counting the days until she can get out on her own.

ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 9:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have a 12 year old step-son who is a pain as well and the psycho ex wife to go right along with the package. Do I regret marrying my Dh? Heck no! #1 get the child into therapy and try to give her positive attention as much as possible. My Dss thought I was stealing his dad away and was just looking for stability in his life. I spent time getting to know him and showing him how a non-psycho mom should be and he loved it. Now, he wants us to have kids HAHA. Does he still have behavior issues? Yes, but with clear boundaries, stability, positive attitude, and loving discipline with consistences and rewards...you should be fine. It may get worse before it gets better, but stand to the above and your Dsd should change for the better. Also, try leading by example. If you want loved...try showing her the same. Who can be happy around a bunch of people who can't stand her?
    Buddhist_Mom75

Answer by Buddhist_Mom75 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Crap, I'm sorry that you guys are going thru this.  I don't have step children so I won't comment, just giving some computer "hugs" and support to ya!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• no and i cant answer this one sorry you are going through this.
    blessedwkrysta

Answer by blessedwkrysta at 12:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• For the ladies who suggested the counseling, etc. She is in counseling. I've helped her dad raise her since she was 3yo and did nothing but bend over backward to go to ever school thing, let her do any sport thing she wanted, made sure she always had fun things to play with, and we always played with her, went to the fun stuff, etc. She is the one who chooses to be the way she is. She acts like she doesn't even want to be in our family. She's always been a liar since she was little and has told at least one HUGE lie on me that I'll never forgive her for. We just hate each other and it's sad. We've done everything we can to make a good life for her. She is turned just like her mom right down to the core and THAT is scary. She is an expert in the "poor me" act and even friends of our family and family that she's tried to blah blah blah on flat tell her she is wrong and her life is NOT what she's trying to say it is.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:48 AM on Jan. 27, 2011