How much do YOU think someone needs to earn to be middle class?

So my husband just got a raise and my MIL asked how much it was. He told her and she said... "Good job, now you are middle class".

I thought it was hilarious that she specifies a certain dollar amount is middle class.

So how much money do you think bumps someone into middle class?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 9:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think of the middle class as more of a social thing, I don't really put a dollar amount on it and it probably depends on where you live anyway.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think what it takes to be "Middle Class" greatly depends on where you live/the cost of living in that area.

My zip code has a cost of living that is over 20% higher than the national average. The average home price is close to $500k (even a 2bdr condo cost that much and more). To be middle class in my area, a family of (let's say 4) needs to earn 6 figures easily. There was an article in the Oregonian (oh geez) 3-4 years ago, that did a break down in regards to what it takes to be "Middle Class" in my area of Portland. For a single person alone, the cost was around $70k a year. For a family of four it was around $150k a year.Now mind you, that is downtown/city center/nw portland.Other areas of Portland are a little cheaper to live in.

((Using the traditional "idea" of middle class: Not living paycheck to paycheck, all bills paid in full and on time every month, no forms of assistance, able to save a % of income, etc.))
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 9:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• it depends on your expenses. if your making $100,000 a year but have 5 kids to support, thats almost poverty. if you have 2 kids to support, its middle class, if alone thats upper class. all depends. not very many upper class anymore. heck, middle class is disapearing too! :(
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It depends on ther area that you are living in.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2011