Child Safety Gates- Recommendations?

Hi all, my babe is 8 mo's and cruisin' up a storm. I know we should have a few more months, but can anyone with prior baby-gate experience recommend a good one? I'd prefer to go with plastic rather than pinch-your finger-wood, and will need one to fit a larger opening, we have a small townhouse where we'll need one for the kitchen entrance and the top of our stairs. Thanks!!

ZoeKatsMom

Asked by ZoeKatsMom at 2:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• look on: www.onestepahead.com
    they have tons of gates, and most you can also find in babies r us....
    oh, and they take paypal!!!
    MONHOLLENMOM

Answer by MONHOLLENMOM at 2:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• We have a Safety First gate and it works just fine. It's a little hard at first, but it's better that way. If it were too easy, my son might be able to open it! I'm not sure how big it is though, it's at the top of the stairs, I think it's a pretty standard size.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You can see reviews on almost everything at amazon.
    Keep in mind that you will need a "hard mount" type at the top of the stairs. You can't use a pressure fit one there. It must be one that screws to the wall.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Well, the gate I'm going to get is actually meant for dogs, but it is just as safe and they have several types and also for very large openings. The prices are very reasonable also. Here is the website, drsfostersmith.com . . . here is the link to the gate that I'm getting . . . . . http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+13845+9037&pcatid=9037
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2008