Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

How can I get my 7 yr old autistic son to calm down when hes having a tantrum?

Hitting hisself or others grinding his teeth screaming

Answer Question

Asked by Hbabygirl476 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Kids' Health

Level 7 (203 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • I don't have these problems, BUT. I have heard that music can help. Sing the same song when he's angry or let him, when he's not angry, make a cd or tape with you to listen to when he gets like that.
    Maybe give him an old phonebook or newspapers to tear through or paint to play with or something.

    Answer by JadeRDragosani at 9:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • try to redirect him , like do or say something that you know he likes , like take out the crayons and some paper and start coloring yourself , turn on funnies on tv , or what ever you think will get his attention with out being obvious - just go do it yourself and watch what happens , dont say anything before , during , or after what you decide to redirect him with , it works with my autistic son .
    when this dont work to good leave the room , take the audience away , if he follows you do something that would interest him , .its worth a try.

    Answer by letstalk747 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • thank u for ur input ive tryed music but singing and music seems 2 make him madder he doesnt like it im not sure y even when he was a baby when people would sing happy birthday or whatever he would cry his eyes out im not sure y its very sad really makes me cry 4 him i feel so bad 4 him i just want to help my baby not hurt hisself

    Comment by Hbabygirl476 (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • My guess would be to play music.

    Answer by MommabearGrr at 9:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • ive tryed the distraction thing and see hes one of those type of autistic that he doesnt seem 2 care what others r doing or what they think he even blurts out when he has an accident in his pants i peed in my pants and doesnt care when people laugh. also i do sometimes just leave the room and let him have his fit but on occasion he will hit hisself hard in the face or pinch hisself so hard he leaves a bruise even beat his head in the wall if i dont watch him im scared he will really do damage. I usually just hold him very tight where he cant hit hisslef and let him yell until the yelling turns 2 tears cuz he dont understand y hes so mad. i just wish there was and hopin there is another trick 2 calm him down b4 he starts the "big fit"

    Comment by Hbabygirl476 (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • ive been thru these things with my son , hes almost 11 now , i choose to put him on meds for adhd and a mood stabilizer , it works , its worth it , he is way less frustrated and calmer , he is way less stressed and these things are VERY IMPORTANT , HAVE YOU CONSIDERED MEDS , ASK ME ANYTHING , I CAN PROBLY HELP SOME.

    Answer by letstalk747 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • ive thought about med the problem im having is the school has diagnosed him with autism but as far as an outside diagnoses which seems very hard 2 get i have him on a watin list for a child phsy. but its takin 4ever and 4 sum reason the ped. wont do anything the school keeps sayin they will but every one ive called said he has 2 go to marcus inst. to get them 2 diagnose the school isnt an offical diagnoses even though i have bout 4 books of paper work stating he is. its so confusing how did u get ur diagnosis for meds?

    Comment by Hbabygirl476 (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • it wasnt easy , most peds. wont prescribe till kid is older , you have to find a ped. that treats autism - at least adhd to get meds call different ones that take his insurance ask if they treat adhd , keep looking , they dont have to be a psych. to treat with meds , but it may have to be one if you cant find a ped. who will treat , do you have a county mental health place - call it explain your sons behaviour they should get him in soonly. If you tell them he has a educational dx of autism that should get him in.
    i got lucky and found a autism adhd specialist that is a ped.

    Answer by letstalk747 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • Have you ever tried just holding him tightly & rocking him? My son has Asperger's but I know several children with autism who like the pressure of being held or wrapped up tightly in a blanket & rocked, it's a sensory thing. Some also like to lay under a mattress because the pressure makes they feel calm & secure. You really need to get a diagnoses from a licensed psychologist though, preferably one that specializes in autism. Usually children with autism have other disorders as well, such as sensory processing disorder. You do not necessarily want to have him put on meds. There are so many methods you can use to help him. You do not want a doctor who is going to just dope him up. They have to do testing and there should be help in your community for children with autism. Also got and check some books out on autism so you can find methods that might work for you & your son. Join one of the groups in here as well, I am sure

    Answer by sarchasmicangel at 11:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • they can give you some great tips that may work for your son, as well as some much needed support.

    Answer by sarchasmicangel at 11:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.