I feel like I am doing something wrong do you ever feel this way?

I have two children & sometimes their behavior & attitudes overwhelm me I either yell & scream, or sit crying asking myself what I am doing wrong I am so stressed with everything continually getting sick & it is really affecting my moods what can i do please no bashing i am just a young mother who needs help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• This to shall pass.... It will get easier I promise.. Just think of it this way everytime you want to yell. Pretend you're yelling at a brick wall, it's not getting through is it? Their little brains aren't taking it in, so you're just wasting your energy. Take a different approach, so instead of yelling, just calmly say, go sit down, and set the timer for their age, and if they won't sit keep doing it, sit with them, and until they sit with no problems for their time, then do it again. Consistency makes all the difference. You can do it. Set a routine, and stick to it. Also remember there are NO perfect parents, and you're already going in the right direction, you realize it's wrong, and that's the first step..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Take a deep breath and relax.  Yes, I too have thought WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG!  Bask in the insanity of motherhood instead of fighting it.  :)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• it's okay to feel over whelmed everyone does weither they admit it or not. some of us more than others. it doesn't matter how good, how much you let them by with things there are going to be those days.Nobody is a perfect mom no matter how much we want to be as long as we try and never give up on those angels no matter how much of a hellion they are in the end it's always worth it.
    MomaWeeks

Answer by MomaWeeks at 9:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i have this same problem. its so hard sometimes just to stop and think they are little and not freak out...
    sandjmom99

Answer by sandjmom99 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I agree with the previous posters: feeling inadequate and overwhelmed are normal parts of motherhood. Just relax. Breathe. Give yourself a pat on the back for even the smallest acheivements (a fresh diaper, a load of laundry done, a made bed or a healthy meal prepared, making your kids laugh or smile - these are all valuable, worthwhile things you can and should be proud of). Work on your own sense of accomplishment and your own self esteem. Best advice I ever got about being a parent was this: enjoy your kids. *hugs*
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I feel that way EVERY SINGLE DAY......and it doesn't matter if you're a young mother or not........I'm an "old" mother (38), and have been one for 12 years, and feel that way......of course, my child that gives me problems is ADHD and a 12-year old girl (who happened to have just gotten her first period this month), so imagine my fun, lol............Just keep your chin up!!
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It's a totally normal expected part of motherhoood! As much as it sucks, I do think it keeps me on my toes! I have days where I just need a time out on life. I get it!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• get a close friend or realative to come over and help out while you take a break for some mommy time. maybe even get a play group started and all of ypu get together and while the kids play you and the other mommies can exchange advise etc.
    blessedwkrysta

Answer by blessedwkrysta at 12:23 AM on Jan. 27, 2011