I had to go on food stamps, can this hurt me in court?

My ex wants to go back to court. He has filed for contempt though every charge he has, I can prove it is not true, execpt for one and I know he has no way to prove it is (and it is also not true). However, I have recently had to go on food stamps. Would this look bad if his laywer asked me if I was on PA? (obviously under oath, I would have to tell the court I am). Is his lawyer even allowed to ask me if I am on PA? I don't want this to cause a problem for me but right now, I can't get by without it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• Why would it matter? You are taking steps to feed your child. It will not hurt your case.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have already filled out the fiancial papers, they don't ask about PA
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Is it for child support??
    cl1998

Answer by cl1998 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I dont see how this can hurt you if anything if should help you get child support or an increase, if you had to let them know
    kt2babies

Answer by kt2babies at 9:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• No, if you are taking care of your children in a proper manner:they are fed, clothed, and secure it won't matter
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 9:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It's not against the law to accept help from the govt. If it looks bad then it makes him look bad for not paying child support enough to help feed his children. The lawyer knows it would make your x look worse than it makes you look. It shows you are responsible and trying to feed your children.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I'm not proud to admit it but i'm on food stamps and it didnt hurt me at all when my ex took me to court to have his support changed.
    cl1998

Answer by cl1998 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2011