What do you think of this proposed law? (No it isn't the drug testing one)

Florida is trying to pass a law to make it a felony for a pediatrician to ask about gun ownership and how the gun is stored. I think it is crap. Pediatricians ask about chemicals in the house, car seats and other saftey issues that involve kids and I think this question qualifies.

I own a gun and I store it properly. I am all for gun rights, to a certain extent but I think this law is ridiculous. People are seriously upset that someone cares about their childs well being.

This is the article that this question is based off of.  One of my friends posted it on facebook.   http://www.pensitoreview.com/2011/01/26/why-are-gun-rights-groups-putting-guns-ahead-of-children/

What are your opinions?

kmath

Asked by kmath at 10:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• A felony for a pediatrician to ask this question? Wow. That's extreme. 

If nothing else, I think the question could serve as a reminder to parents that they do need to take extra precautions when they have children in the house--to be aware of the dangers and to do what's necessary to be certain that the guns are safely stored out of the children's reach. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Well I think that somehow it may be valid,but only if there is cause.For instance if there was ever an incident where the parent was arrested for having a gun unlawfully,unlawfull discharge of a firearm ect..but to just ask as a routine question is absurd.
    harvestprincess

Answer by harvestprincess at 10:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I am all for gun rights, but this is stupid. Since when was it a right to not be asked if you own one?
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• THAT is ridiculous. Every aspect is important when considering the environment of a child.

What's next? The gun maker gets sued b/c they didn't tell the owner (now a parent) that they should lock it up and keep it out of little hands?
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Silly. And it is usually the summer for the silly season, not the winter .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Oh wow, that's a bit ridiculous
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:38 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• wow how much dumber can we get????
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:41 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I think it's sad to make it a felony to ask a question....but I also resent some of the questions I am asked.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• A felony?!? That's too extreme. They ask many other, much more prying questions...it's their job.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I do think making it a felony is extreme but I also think Dr.'s ask questions they don't need to ask. It's their job to treat illness and they do need to ask related questions, however, unless they suspect child abuse or neglect, they really have no business asking questions that have nothing to do with the reason a patient is in their office.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 2:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2011