When did they start doing rebuttals to state of the union addresses? Do you think they are disrespectful to the president?

I think they seem a little disrespectful...like challenging the president (no matter who he or she might be.) He's the president. It's not like he's trying out for the job. It's not like people can't find out or aren't bombarded with sound bites about how the other party stands on issues. Aren't they supposed to be unifying? I feel like having an alternate response is not unifying and may be confusing and disconcerting for a lot of people. I know this is the land of free speech but let the president have his moment in the sun.
Have they always done them? Maybe I have been paying more attention lately but I can't remember them from when I was a kid.

Isaidit

Asked by Isaidit at 10:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• OMG, go to the just for fun section.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• What are you talking about?
    Isaidit

Comment by Isaidit (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• His moment in the sun? This isn't a school play its our country. Seriously...
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I get how people feel about the president, I'm just talking about the whole format and what the purpose of these speeches are. Did they always have them?
    Isaidit

Comment by Isaidit (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• When did they start doing rebuttals to state of the union addresses?

Since forever. I take it this is the first time you ever bothered to watch the SOTU?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• They first started doing it in 1966.

No, it is not disrespectful.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• – collapse

It is meant to be the other sides vision for our future. The reason you probably thought it was disrespectful, is because The republican was disrespectful, hateful, and fear mongering. The same thing we have been getting from them for the last two years.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• It is meant to be the other sides vision for our future. The reason you probably thought it was disrespectful, is because The republican was disrespectful, hateful, and fear mongering. The same thing we have been getting from them for the last two years.

What a line of shit you spew.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

______________________
    and you are ever so open to Republicans, right?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I missed the rebuttals- I had a commitment, and was travelling today-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011