Why does everyone blame God?

I don't understand why, when things go wrong, ppl blame God. Don't they realize that there's a devil too? Why is it always "God's fault"?

I think we assume since God can do anything, and he doesn't step in and help, it's his fault, but do you really want God to control you life that much? He's offered us free will- by stepping in every time something goes wrong he's taking away our free will! Anyways, I wondered if there was some scriptural references, or something logical that would explain why ppl blame God for their problems.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it's human nature to seek somewhere to lay blame when things go wrong. Especially when it's something beyond our ability to control... a natural disaster, a horrific accident, a devastating medical diagnosis. Because it is so difficult to accept that sometimes bad things just happen at random, people look for a 'reason' and for some people that reason is going to be religious in nature... whether they blame God, blame their karma, etc. It's a human response to pain to look to lay the blame somewhere.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• People would rather blame someone/something else rather than take responsibilities for their actions. They do not want to be accountable.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I think it's not that people blame God for the bad thing that's happened.. they blame him for not helping. An example -- Moms that lose their children to childhood cancer - they have nothing to "take responsibility" for. They haven't done anything to deserve this horrible trial for their children and family. They may pray faithfully for help and healing, and not get it. This can cause someone to be angry at God - not that he caused it, but that he didn't STOP it.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You guys above took the words right out of my mouth. Everyone always hears how prayer helps and truly works, but when prayers fail and people don't get the results they expected, they get angry and blame God for it. I'll admit that in horrible situations like cancer and other terminal illnesses, if that person isn't going to survive, no amount of prayer is going to help. That's unfortunate and harsh, but true. But in simple situations like money or relationship problems, if people don't help themselves, prayer isn't going to do a damn thing. A lot of people expect God to just give them everything without them having to do any work, but it just doesn't work that way. Some think God has "failed them" when he doesn't make everything better automatically.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Better question - why does everyone always thank God when something GOOD happens? Its the same way when something bad does. If its about free will, then the good things happening in your life are done on your own accord, not God's. My personal belief is that things happen because things happen, whether they be good or bad. If God isn't stepping in to prevent bad things, He isn't stepping in to cause good things, either.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i ask this same question yesturday and people said I was Judging so i deleted it . You have a great point. I don't blame God I pray and let him take care of my every need.
    Anonymous

• Those individuals.. never understand that things do happen and yea not all are good but u need to embrace it and use it. Like is a love ones passes... yes ur broken and u have all right to be but God never wants u to hurt but he did bring a person that made an impact on you and u grasp that u should never hold back.. if u want something and u got that motivation go for it... God doesn't hand us things on a silver plate...it may seem like u get the short end of the stick but he tells us to not be materialistic .. not to envy of someone bc they have some thing that u don't..
    mrsfarris

Answer by mrsfarris at 4:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Because if God created everything as christians say he did, then he created the devil and evil and everything else. Thus ultimately, good or bad he is responsible for all that goes on. But I gotta agree with some of the above posters. Angry because he did nothing to stop it and they would rather blame anyone else other than themselves. It really depends on the situation at hand.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• If you read the old testament, all good and bad comes from God. He punishes his people several times for disobedience or failure.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• God has a funny way of answering our prayers, but He does answer them. each and every one.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 7:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2008