How do I get my 2-year-old ready for our new baby??

I'm due in less than 2 months, and I'm worried that there will be a lot of jealousy from my 2-year old. He loves babies, but I'm afraid it will be a different story when a baby comes home, never leaves, and steals a lot of Mommy and Daddy's attention. Plus, I think he's too young to really understand what's going on anyway. Any suggestions??

mommymissy22

Asked by mommymissy22 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was a few days from 2 when i was havin our daughter so the day befor i went in i took him to walmart and let him pick out a special gift just for him to give her and i got him somthing and said it was from her and he didnt mind her much he was really upset w me didnt want me to touch him or anything it only lasted a day or two and i made a huge deal about needin a helper and he was so big and so on
    mlcngriffith

Answer by mlcngriffith at 12:22 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Our daughter was 2 and 4 months when our younger daughter was born, and we got her ready by talking about how exciting it would be to be a big sister, and all the ways that big sisters can help their mommies. We let her pick out a present for her sister, and then, once her sister was born, we gave her a present "from the baby" (nothing too big, just a little something.) We gave her a baby doll for her birthday (so a few months before the baby was born.)
    Maisy19

Answer by Maisy19 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I will add, I was SO SO worried about this too, but once my younger was born, it was a total non-issue for us...sure, there were times that Livie would feel jealous or seem to want a little extra attention, but for the most part, since she was so little, she just acclimated. Especially since she was right at the age that she sort of WANTED a little more independence from me anyway. So we were able to hype up "Livie private time" when she could do what she wanted to do by herself. We balanced that by special "Big Girl and Mommy Time" when she got to have me to herself, and then time when she and Annie shared me. It was all really natural once Annie was here, but I really was worried before she was born, when I couldn't imagine how it would work.
    Maisy19

Answer by Maisy19 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I always used to worry and cry about it! but once my son came my daughter just loved him. we had alot of family around so she was still being very spoiled.
    MichelleLopez04

Answer by MichelleLopez04 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2011