dd will be 2 in less than a month, and talks but not as much as i think is normal?

she IS learning spanish and english. and has been since birth. she understands EVERYTHING we say to her.

but she doesnt communicate with us that much. shell say certain words and its mostly telling us what she wants in ONE word.

she says mama and dada we talk to her and say mommy and daddy but she refuses to use the right word, she mostly says stop cup water more no moma dada dog basic words... theres more but she doesnt really connect words together.

most shell say is "Hi baby" unless we walk her through the sentence...
"more please" or "i" "love" "you" (she says yaya for love you)

she knows a ton of body parts both in english and spanish and can say majority of them in both english and spanish, i interact with her with colors and shapes and letters flashcards. still nothing?

would u worry?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hows her non verbal communication? does she let you know in other ways what she wants?
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 10:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• she points and grabs things.

example: if the cat attacks her ;) she will yell kitty (in her own way) and tell her stop and point and show us

MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It takes a little longer for a child to really start communicating the way you would think they would at this age, because she is learning english AND spanish. My baby cousin (3 at the time) would not talk AT ALL, because he was simply confused between both languages. BUT a few months later, BOOM he wouldn't BE QUIET lol! Just give it time, and keep encouraging, and def. dont stop using both languages!!!! Talk to her in full sentences....and when she wants something and points, ask her to say the object she wants. That's what we had to do for my cousin. If he wanted an apple, he had to say it or he wouldn't get it. it worked!!! goodluck
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My son was the same way and then all of a sudden his speech just took off. Every day he's saying more and really starting to put sentences together. He's 28 months.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• my son will be 2 in april and is just as you decribed...my older son (now in 5th grade) was the same way at that age and he now tests off the charts in some subjects and makes all A's and B's.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If you have any concerns, your local early intervention will do a free develomental evaluation. If the find a problem, they will offer free or very low cost speech therapy; if they don't find a problem, then at least your fears are put to rest. If there is a delay, it is MUCH better for the child to find/resolve it early!

Answer by missanc at 8:30 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• She's learning two languages, which is awesome, but since she has to know basically two ways to say one word, it will be a bit longer. My MIL told my husband and I a couple months before my DD's 2nd birthday that she didn't think my DD was talking enough. My mother told me to relax, she was fine, that she has no problem talking when she wants to. Sure enough, couple months ago, my daughter won't stop talking. Now she's just adding more words to the mix. lol. Your daughter sounds fine. Before you know it, you'll be craving some peace and quiet! (in a good way).
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 29, 2011