Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

this sucks

Man I would love to be able to spend my tax refund on a bunch of new things for my place but I have so many bills I want to elimanate (sp) and things I want to catch up on it wouldn't be in best interst to blow it. ... still I would really love to buy a bunch of new clothes and junk :P

I don't really have a question...just a statement :D


Asked by Jazmineamomma at 10:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 18 (5,302 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Why don't you change your withholdings so you have the money available throughout the year, rather than letting the government use it without paying you interest?

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

  • hey at least you're getting one, ours gets taken to pay a navy debt from when my dh was overpaid by the navy

    Answer by angevil53 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • I highly recommend setting aside a little bit to do something fun, even if it's just enough to go to lunch and movie, or buy a new pair of shoes. I know how it feels to want to DO things, or BUY things, but you have to be all responsible and stuff. That being said, definitely eliminate what bills you can, you'll feel so much better when you do, but seriously... do a little something for yourself, too.

    Answer by Guinhyvar at 10:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • aw man that sucks. Yeah I am happy to be getting something, I really need it. It's hard trying to make it stretch you know. I want to try and get a lot of bills paid off or a good portion. Debt sucks.

    Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • @Guinjyvar - yeah thanks I thought of putting some money up to pay a sitter so I can go out at night!!!!! I want to go shake my groove thang lol

    Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • I asked myself the same question today. Try to eliminate a bill. Lump sums dont come along that often. If you have a bill that you pay for about 150.00 a month that you can eliminate....seriously do it. Think about what you could do with the money that would be going to the payment your not making every month not to mention what you will save in interest. Then you may find you have a little extra every month to buy a pair of jeans and a little junk on the side(0:.

    Answer by NativeMommy123 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • I haven't seen a tax refund in five years! LOL! When I did get a refund (back when I was a single mom)... I would pay off all of the bills that I had accumulated over the course of the year. It was terrific knowing that I could go into a new year with no bills... of course it didn't last too long, but it was nice!!

    Answer by m-avi at 1:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

  • My biggest bill is my drivers responsibility thing. Well the state automactically takes that out my refund. But I got a ticket two years ago and I need to get a ride back down to the court house and asses the fee's. After that I can go to sec of state and reinstante my driving liscense and be legally able to drive again. I wish I had enough to buy a car but maybe next year or something.

    I hate with the ticket and court visit I dont know how much the judge will charge me. because the county I am going to is a real douche I hope I dont get jail time or something. I mean its not like it was a DUO just driving on suspended liscense. Sooo yeah wish they could just tell you bring X amount of money not leave you guessing.

    Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 1:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

  • rkolom, I work in payroll and I try to get this point across to people all the time. They think they're so lucky to get thousands back in a tax refund and I try to tell them that they basically gave the government an interest-free loan and all they're getting back is their own money. I like getting a refund, too, like a couple of hundred dollars. Instead of using the government as their savings account, they should open a separate account and either have a direct deposit from their pays to that account or an automatic bank transfer each pay period.

    Answer by ceallaigh at 11:02 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

  • yeah I do know about changing ur withholdings. I've done that before.

    Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Jan. 27, 2011