Hemorrhoids...

What do you do to get rid of them or keep them from acting up? Has anyone gotten rid of them surgically? How do they do it and is it worth it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Health

• applying witch hazel works good. Drink husk fiber.
    Anonymous

• Tucks are helpful, as is soaking in the tub. Make sure you drink lots of water and get some fiber in your diet: this will help keep you from having to strain when you go to the bathroom (this can keep your hemorrhoids from shrinking).

Two of my nurses had their hemorrhoids surgically removed and said that it was worse than having a baby. They also told me NOT to get one of those hemorrhoid pillows, as they provide temporary relief but make the problem worse.

I had them really bad after my son was born, they took about a month to go away. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• When I had them after I had the baby, my Dr gave me stool softeners so I didnt have to strain so much. I also used Tucks cream and wipes and they went away. Sorry dont know anything about surgically removing htem other than to say consult your Dr.
    Kelly_n_Payton

Answer by Kelly_n_Payton at 5:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• if they are causing real pain, and not just irritation, ask the DR for ana-mantal. i've had mine removed surgically 3 times, and this medicine is all that ever helped me.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 7:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Preparation H....the suppositories.

I got them all the time. I've had mine removed twice. I first had my 1st hemorrhoid ectomy when I was 7 months pregnant with my 1st child. That was the worst thing ever!! Probably mostly from being pregnant!  I had a tampon up my rear & stitches after the surgery & was suppose to come out when you went to the bathroom. I felt really bad & bloated & had a problem going to the bathroom & I kept taking lots of the medicine to go to the bathroom. After I finally went that first time, it was a relief. You need to take lots of stool softeners or it's really hard to go to the bathroom. After a week, I was starting to feel normal again.

Kristie_S

Answer by Kristie_S at 11:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• (add to the above post...had more then 1000 letters)

The 2nd time go around wasn't as bad. I still got them but not as bad as the second time & they weren't painful the just popped out & were annoying. I wanted to have surgery before I go pregnant again...I should have waited until after. The 2nd time was much much easier...I knew what to expect. You're butt hurts for a while...more the first week & less the 2nd week. I should have waited until my DD was born, because I still get them.

So, as far as it being worth it....yes...just make sure you are done having babies...I'd like to have mine "chopped" off again...they don't hurt anymore. Make sure you drink plenty of water, take stool softeners & get lots of fiber And no straining!

Kristie_S

Answer by Kristie_S at 11:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2008