"Gay" Sleepovers

If you found out that your child was gay would you deny them of traditional same sex sleepovers with friends? Im just curious because I always had my friends stay over growing up. Im not gay but do you still treat your child like anyother when it comes to that or do you worry that things maybe going on?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in General Parenting

• Sleep over are just for them to hang out together and nothing else. If I suspected that my child or a child was gay then I would definitely have to say NO.....My job is to teach and protect them - by not encouraging the what could bee's....or encouraging any mistakes

Co-ed sleepovers would never happen not in this life time!! I wasn't raised like that and neither are they going to be raised like that by any means.
    kkgrls

Answer by kkgrls at 4:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• ya, i would just have a talk about what is appropriat. which i would gay or not
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 2:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• sorry sleeping LO in arms
    perksmom

• I would allow traditional sleepovers because just because you are gay does not mean all your friends are- you would have to be able to define just who is sleeping over.
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• It would depend on the age and if they are trustworthy, honestly. I also agree with the above that just because your child is gay doesn't mean their friends are too. IDK, thankfully I have awhile before I have to really think about this stuff.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Of course I would. Just because they're gay doesn't mean that they're going to come onto their friends behind closed doors. Their friends might not be gay...and gay people aren't sex crazed fiends like some people would believe :P

But yeah. I wouldn't treat my kid any differently.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• would you let your child sleep over with an opposite sex? I wouldnt, if they calim to be gay then sleepoves are out. it is my job to protect them and have sexual relations at a young age isnt appropriate or good for them - therefore sleepovers are out.
    sahm2shaina

Answer by sahm2shaina at 2:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I guess I would. But perhaps not. I don't know. I wouldn't allow my daughter's boyfriend to spend the night in her room or my son's girlfriend. But at the same time that doesn't mean that my lesbian or gay child is going to have sex with every friend of the same gender they have. I would have to make it clear about my expectations, regardless of their sexuality, about their behaviors while in my house. Rules are for everyone not just a gay/lesbian child. I fully support any person who is gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgendered. My first thought is my responsibilty to my child's safety and then my responsibility to any other child who is a guest in my home. Gay does not equal pervert. So I have to trust my child.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• How old are they? Is this a co-ed sleepover? Personally, I don't agree with co-ed sleepovers because "curiosity" can cause trouble. But I wouldn't stop them from having a sleepover, but I would lay down some serious ground rules like all the doors (except bathroom lol) stay open, no inappropriate behavior (kissing, etc.), hands and feet to yourself, things like that. I would also, not "check on them" per say, but just keep a closer eye on them (and this is not because they're gay but because if my children were at a coed function, at a movie with friends,school dance etc., I would give them the same rules) and look in maybe every 20, 30 minutes or if you think it's too quiet (totally up to you). Did I answer your question? Hope this helps some.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I was raised that sleep overs of any kind are WRONG!! But I am all for co-ed sleep overs as long as they are suppervised (at young ages) Like everyone camps in the living room type deal... As teens I'm not going to be so strick but as kids I think they need to be watched... So All that said. I wouldn't have a problem with my gay child having a sleep over... What's the big deal? They change with these people in gym class, share a bathroom at the Y... Why not sleep over. I would probibly do the "camp" in the living room thing if I though there would be an issue. Otherwise why not. Just because they are gay doesn't mean they are going to "make a move" on a non- gay friend...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:19 PM on Nov. 14, 2008