Breast Feeding....

This is what I had heard on our local news-------

"The age-old advice given to mothers to exclusively breastfeed during their baby's first six months of life is being challenged by British researchers. Their research found babies fed only breast milk through six months of age were more prone to allergies, less likely to try new tastes and/or suffer iron deficiency."
"In the U.S. we recommend supplementing iron at four months of age and we test for iron deficiency as well," Dr. Pendleton, Director of Pediatrics at Genesys Health System said. "I think it would be less of a concern here in America. The study suggests mothers begin introducing solid foods to their babies at four month of age. In some cases, Dr. Pendleton agrees. If you have celiac disease in your family history then you might consider introducing foods within four to six months."
"Statistics show Three of every four women start out breastfeeding and at the end of six months that number drops to just 43% and just 13% of that number are babies who are exclusively breastfed. As for now though, breastfeeding experts say more work is needed within the British study. And for those mothers who are confused, Dr. Pendleton says it all comes down to this fact... breast is still best."
"I think as long as we take the appropriate precautions that are in place and we increase awareness of what need to make sure that everybody can do it safely we can realize the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding and also protect any potential illness the study suggests," Dr. Pendleton said.

So, what do ya'll think of this???

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think the recommendations for infant health are ALWAYS changing and it's almost impossible to keep up with doing the "right" thing. When my kids were babies, the recommendation was to BF for 4 months and to rear face until they were a year old. Who knows what it will be in the next 5 years?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• This was in the news a little while ago.... When its research done by people who DON'T make baby food I would be more inclined to believe it.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• The one bit of info. they left out is 3 of the 4 authors of the study work or have worked for the baby food industry within the last 3 years. This makes the study very biased and not very valid. Breast is still best.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think a lot of that sounds out-dated. Besides, anyone can write a report to support any position they like ... even using the same data!
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• In addition to what the PPs said, I can't help but wonder if babies are iron deficient because of our practice of cutting their cord as soon as their born, despite research showing delayed cord cutting is better. Iron supplements at 4 months? Wow.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think it's biased and can be challenged by THOUSANDS of other studies provening exactly the opposite.
    Anonymous

• I think anyone will believe anything sometimes, depends on the person,sometimes on how much education they have had, on how the scientists or whoever manipulate numbers.
    ", I can't help but wonder if babies are iron deficient because of our practice of cutting their cord as soon as their born, despite research showing delayed cord cutting is better"
    Really? How long should the cord be attached? How does that make a difference? The baby is attached to the cord for 9 months, so when she gives birth, and the cord is cut. How does that make the baby iron deficient?
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• The cord should stop "pulsing" before it's cut.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• If you google it, you'll find lots more info on when to cut the cord and why.

MrsHouston47302