Why do we bash God for wanting to show off in the old testament, and then turn around and bash God for not doing anything miraculous today?

ladymomtraveler

Asked by ladymomtraveler at 11:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Every time a child is born, God has performed a miracle! The miracles didn't stop 2000 years ago, they still happen every day, it's just that some folks don't recognize them as such. I thank God for every day that I wake up, to live another day on this beautiful earth he has given us. I feel sorry for those that don't have God in their lives, my life is so much better than theirs. The peace I feel, is because God is in my life. Thank you God, for being here for each of us, whether we recognize You or not, thank You for the unconditional love you have for each of us, and for giving me the ability to feel happiness, pain, sorrow. Amen
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• WE don't but some do- I think its because rather than deciding what path is right for them- they are more interested in pointing out what they feel is wrong with someone else's path- kind of an odd thing huh?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think I agree with soyousay.... I also think a lot of people are just hurt and dissatisfied with life and longing for something more, and God doesn't deliver what they want the way they want it, and He's an easy target. I don't claim to understand all of what He did in the OT anymore than I understand completely why there aren't more miracles today. What I'm sure of, though, is that if God never did anything beyond my understanding, he wouldn't be much of a God!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Those who bash God for "showing off" do not understand the meaning or purpose as to why He performed these miracles. In the bible, when the blind were made able to see or the "crippled" to walk, they praise the Lord....they didn't say "wow, what a show off!" God doesn't have to show us miracles because we are to believe in our hearts already that He is the Almighty. God still performs miracles today, but the bashers out there are oblivious to it because of their own ignorance.
    virgo550

Answer by virgo550 at 7:45 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Well, I've never seen God as "showing off" at any time, in any book of the Bible. All I see is God, doing exactly what He says, and showing us His power, glory, majesty, strength, and love.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'm noticing as I get older, people have to be shown things. It needs to be proven. I'm different. I feel things. God doesn't need to show me a miracle. I've felt his presence and power. Some people haven't. Everyone's different. I think generally people question things more now as well.
    fricky29

Answer by fricky29 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• He's an easy target. --

..even for those who don't believe in Him. funny how that works. you'd think it wouldn't matter one hoot, if they were firm in their beliefs.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:39 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It boils down to lack of understanding the character of God.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Okay, atheist here. I am not angry or bitter or unhappy. Sorry to disappoint all you holy-rollers. The god depicted in the O.T. was an arrogant, self-centered PRICK. And he was and is also a myth. An imaginary being created by primative and savage men. The point of criticizing this concept is because it is an extremely NEGATIVE concept. It isn't that I want my rosebush to burst into flames and start talking to me. It's to prove the point that the O.T. is fiction. It didn't happen then and it doesn't happen today, because IT IS FICTION. A real, all-powerful god would have no problem providing the world with proof of his existence at any time, and the fact that it never happens is atheism's proof that there is no god. And that's why.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• A real, all-powerful god would have no problem providing the world with proof of his existence at any time, and the fact that it never happens is atheism's proof that there is no god.

I see proof everyday. You dont own the proof.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2011