I have a 15 month old boy who when it's time for naps & night time I always hold him, rock him until he falls asleep...Now I did try to lay him down so he can fall asleep om his own but didn't happen...Is it so terrible that I do this or can anyone give me advice on how he can fall asleep alone

PS: Hes extreamly attached to me ; /

sissaymay

Asked by sissaymay at 11:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it's not bad, you can do it if you choose to. when you want to change it you wait until the child is tired and put him in bed, he may cry and blabber on but eventually he will go to sleep.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I used to rock my one son to sleep in his stroller, and then once he was truly asleep I"d transfer him. Eventually I just did what angevil53 said. It was hard, but he got used to it pretty quickly. They are only this little once.......... If my 6 mo doesn't fall asleep on my lap drinking her bottle, then I stand and sway w/ her until she falls asleep. You just do what works as long as it isn't hurting the child, and do what you feel is best.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 11:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Personally, I think as long as it works, it's ok. I used to love rocking my son to sleep. THe problem was, he got to a point where he would either wake up as soon as I laid him down, or about a half hour later, and I would have to go through the process again. He went through phases where I could rock him to sleep ok, but he would wake up in the night and because he hadn't learned to fall asleep on his own, he wouldn't be able to go back to sleep without me rocking him. It actually got to be VERY frustrating! I was sad when I finally stopped rocking him, but once he learned to go to sleep on his own, everything went much more smoothly. So, yeah, I think the only time it's NOT good is if your child is waking up more frequently and unable to go back to sleep on his own. Otherwise, enjoy it!!!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Creating a dependency is what you're trying to avoid when you're raising a child. Yes, you want them to be comfortable with you, close to you, and comforted by you. However, you don't want them to need you for every little thing that they want/need. They should be able to comfort themselves and put themselves to sleep. If you've created a dependency it can be reversed, but it isn't going to be easy. You have to decide if you and your child need this or if what you're doing works for you. I personally think that every child should know how to self soothe and put themselves to sleep. By doing this you simply put them in their bed and let them fall asleep naturally. You can create that night time routine where you cuddle, read books, have a drink, etc. However, when it comes to going to bed they go in alone and put themselves to sleep. With a child such as yours it might take some crying it out a few nights though.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:38 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• it will be an adjustment for the both of you to make, however we have to remember as parents that we have to control most of the habits our children develop. in saying that, just like you formed that habit you will now just have to form a new one. i would recommend getting him ready, try reading him a story or something to relax him, and put him in his bed while briefly explaining that you love him and its bedtime, and that you will see him in the morning. turn a nightlight on and leave the room. odds are he is going to cry, and it will seem like an eternity, but he will be ok and go to sleep. using these tactics it will probably take a couple of nights and it will seem endless, but the big pictue is the important thing and that is forming a new habit that you will both benefit from.
    if he seems to be getting hysterical , go comfort him but try not to actually pick him up. try singing and rubbing his back
    megs201

Answer by megs201 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'm going through the same thing right now. I agree with the above, you're probably going to have a few cry-it-out nights. Even though it's hard to hear our babies cry, it's the best thing for them.
    Nykalayla

Answer by Nykalayla at 3:43 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• my 2 year old falls asleep laying beside me in my bed sometimes then i transfer her over to her bed and she wakes up once ot twice during the night. most of the time it is because she is cold (i cover her up but she kicks them off and does not cover her self back up) or for some reason on some nights she just plain wakes up at 2 in the morning then eventually falls back a sleep at 5 then we wake back up a 8 or 10. when she does that i lay with her o keep her quiet dad has to get up at 4 to go to work and he is not a morning person. how we broke her of it was just putting her in her bed and letting her scream it out (she thinks the louder she screams the faster she is going to get the attention she wants) we ignore it for a while but we still can hear her crying but then eventually we either told her to go to sleep or she just cried herself to sleep. she also is very attached to me
    luv2run88

Answer by luv2run88 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 27, 2011