Can depression make you violent?

I have depression and i have became violent. i got into a fist fight with my sister in law the other night. She told me to STFU in my own home and i flipped. I stood up and said get outta my house, she crossed her arms and told me "hell f'in no" and so i threw a punch at her and it went from there. Could it be because of my depression?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Health

• It could be a sign of a few things...but you may be right to be concerned you may want to have a conversation with you doc.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 11:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Yes depresson can make you very violent. Are you on meds that can contribute as well.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• yes it could be a big part of your depression..i take meds for my depression..and i did find myself being violent at times...but instead of hittng the person id hit the wall or whatever bc i knew something wasnt right..but i would go and talk your docter just to be safe...
    opalmama04

Answer by opalmama04 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i was violent when i was depressed
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• For some people yes. If you're not on any medications, I would recommend you see a doctor and see if they can put you on an antidepressant.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yes it can. My mom is bipolar (so am I, but I'm not violent towards others) and she would snap like that sometimes. It was either me or my step dad that usually got caught up in it. I've known a few other people like that, also. You should try to see a doctor. If you're on medication, it may need to be changed. If you're not, you might want to consider starting a medication. Therapy wouldn't hurt, either. I'm not trying to sound preachy, this is coming from personal experiences.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:38 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Depression affects different people in different ways. I have suffered from depression..I became more aggressive and could have been considered violent at times. It was rough.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 1:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• yes it can, get a doc involved!
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 11:25 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I was also violent when I was depressed.
    Hang in there though!
    xLeeAnnex

Answer by xLeeAnnex at 1:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2011