20 Week scan?

I have my 20 week scan coming up in a few weeks (though it's scheduled for 19+4 weeks) and I was just wondering if some people on here could tell me what it is I should expect? I go in for my ultrasound first, then I have to wait 10-15 minutes because I had to set up my OB appt too, but they didn't have one available until 10-15 minutes after scan...don't ask, idk how that works lol!

Anyway, I was just curious if I needed to drink lots of water for the U/S? And I'd like to know the sex, so will drinking orange juice or soda help get baby moving around? How long does it take to get the ultrasound results back, will my doctor look at them within the 10 minutes right before my appointment?
Also, will I get another pap smear even if I had one done at 7.5 weeks? Or will this be like the routine visits I've been having for a while now?

Thanks in advance!

Charmasina

Asked by Charmasina at 11:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• they told me to drink 30 oz of water 90 mins before the US

and you shouldnt get a pap every time you go, at least i didnt
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• At my 19 weeks u/s it took about 30 mins. She looked at all the organs, legs, arms, spine etc. At first I thought I wouldn't be able to find out the sex because he wasn't cooperating. But then he moved and we saw his boy parts! I drank some juice and water before. But the u/s tech said it wasn't really necessary. But I would recommend bring a bottle of juice with you. Just in case he or she isn't moving around. You can drink some juice and maybe get some movement. I think the results take about a few days to come back. So you probably won't hear anything in detail until your next appt. or if you call they might tell you (not sure). I only got a pap smear once at my first prenatal appt. I don't think it's necessary after that unless you are high-risk. Good luck!
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I only got a pap the first visit for sexualy transmitted diseases. She said no more. Just that one
    Ebuttens

Answer by Ebuttens at 2:26 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• They told me to drink 32 oz of water within the hour before my appointment, and to NOT empty your bladder until after the ultrasound. You shouldn't have to drink any orange juice or soda, as it just all depends on how the baby is going to cooperate and usually the ultrasound tech can do a good job of getting the baby to move around so they can tell the gender. I didn't get a pap with mine, you don't get paps again until you are further along usually, unless something is wrong. They may have to do a vaginal ultrasound but that is only if they can't see the baby they want too, which they should be able to at 20 weeks. Congrats and good luck (:
    PrdWifeNMom07

Answer by PrdWifeNMom07 at 9:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2011