Breast-feeding concerns

Would you say inverted nipples and the baby being tongue tied could be concerns?

I know the usual pain, low supply, AIDS, time consuming, etc. But do you feel these are concerns?

AddyRF

Asked by AddyRF at 12:05 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well, I'm not sure I know what you mean by "concerns"... do you mean a reason NOT to breastfeed? I think if it's causing a problem, then there's a reason to be concerned, and hopefully concern leads to a solution. I don't think those are reasons not to at least give breastfeeding a try. In my case, regardless, I would do everything in my power to breastfeed because I want my son to have that.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yes. They are barriers but not prohibitive. I have flat, short nipples and my son had a short frenulum. I was able to breastfeed nonetheless by literally pulling my nipples to sretch them out a bit, but in the mean time using a nipple shield to help out. About a month later, my son had developed enough muscles in his mouth to properly nurse.

Talk with a lactation consultant before you deliver to figure out ways to overcome those barriers. I found the ones at the hospital where I delivered to be quite helpful.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:11 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• The only real issue I see with what you posted is AIDS....
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 12:12 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• This doesn't have to do with me breastfeeding. I breastfed my daughter :) But this is a question for an assignment. According to the book those that I listed are looked at as concerns/disadvantages. But I like to add more to it, and thought that being tongue tied and inverted nipples are concerns to some
    AddyRF

Comment by AddyRF (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• they are obstacles that can be easily overcome with the right information.
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 12:33 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yes, obstacles is the right word! Good thinking kittymeri. They are obstacles but will not stop you from nursing if you're determined and get the proper help and support.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2011