China more of a superpower then us?

What kinda makes me nervous is the fact China owns 11% of our debt. Does that mean China owns 11% of the U.S.?? China almost be considered #1 in superpower country. I have thought of, and I even looked at just about every object in my house, and nearly 85% or more ws made in China. If they decided to all of a sudden stop sending their products here, even for a short time, kinda like a warning "see what we can do" type thing. I would wonder if that could be enough to send America into to another Depression? I am not saying they would stop making/building and sending items to America. That would hurt them financially after all we are their biggest buyer. But I would think even a week or so probably would hurt them financially, but would that hurt our economy or something?
I would hate to go to war against them, alot of soldiers them and us would die......would that cause a W.W. 3?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• As far as the unhealthy junk in chinese products....as you said, they don't have the rules and regulations regarding production of items that we have here. Without those regulations, they are pretty much free to manufacture items as they want and of course, they are going to do it in the least expensive manner possible in order to realize the largest possible profit. As countries become more "globalized", they become more dependant on one another economically. If one country begins to fail, others do also, it's rather like a domino effect. We saw that when we had the mgt./banking failures...other countries also were having to deal with possible economic collapse, so it wouldn't make much sense to be in a war with them, economically it would damage both countries.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My computer is second hand, a benefit of having family in the biz, tv, made in the US, dishes, hand me downs from when we still made things. Our furniture was made locally over 75 years ago!

My kids were all made in PA. Dad's Army, Grandpa was Navy, brother is Air Force. It's been beat into me since I was tiny. I will say, I don't check labels AS carefully at yard sales, because I don't see that as supporting China, I'm stimulating OUR economy.

You gotta have a hobby. I bake bread and boycott China.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:20 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• china doesn't need to buy anything from us. An open trade agreement with them is ridiculous.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSWEN597820110121

china built an empire on US dollars. we funded their military, while the citizens are being killed off by their own government.

The only way to deal with China is to implement very soon Trump's ideas. When we start that, China's military will no longer be funded and the economy will no longer strong. No more fear, no more threats, no more debt, no more cowtowing. The US has to get over the fact that China will treat it's citizens poorly whether we send them jobs and money or not. The money china made off of us never went to it's citizens.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:38 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• No, we are still the only super power in the world.

Now if we keep the title all depends on if we can defeat  Obama in 2012.

If he get reelected then we could lose the title to China.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:25 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• The problem with China is that their economy is as doctored as ours. Our numbers are fudged by us constantly doing things like raising the debt ceiling or releasing more money. China's is fudged by falsely inflating the value of their industry and downplaying how much of it is still under government control.

In real world terms - China's economy is a lot like Antiques Roadshow (or any of those pawn shop/storage/auction and junk buying shows). People look at it and give a guess of what they think it might be worth under ideal conditions. They aim high to make it sound good for tv and pad the value for insurance. In reality, if people take those items to auction to sell them, they'd be luck to get even half of the number touted on tv.

China has more fake money than we have fake money right now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I don't BUY stuff made in China. We don't HAVE to.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:23 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I was watching a lecture on this today. The thing to keep in mind is, this is a power shift that's not about combat, it's about buying and selling power. China has power because they manufacture and sell so much of the world's goods, but as long as we provide them business, we also have a certain amount of power (called "soft" power, according to the lecturer). As a "customer" of china, they have nothing to gain by warring against us.

Anyway, the way I see it, when china gets more advanced then us, maybe they'll outsource their work to us, and we can have products made in the US again! Just kidding.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:26 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i think we should stop buying and selling things made in china.
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 12:29 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I wish we could, but there would be no way in hell we could.
    ----
    Research donald trump's mosts recent statements about China
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:29 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• If you count property holdings they probably own more than 11%
    The situation makes me sick because you hear Obama telling the world at every chance that they can't depend on us anymore. We are not the US that we once were. Well DUH! You can only run down someones reputation in so many ways so many times before they are just that. Do you get it that China laughs at us? Thanks Obama, this ones on you
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 27, 2011