the toddler i babysit is 20 months old and still doesnt say any words, has trouble feeding herself and barely eats anything when she does. she coudlnt it up on her own til 9 months, didnt start crawling until 15 months, couldnt pull herself up until 17 walks now but heavlily on the insides of her feet. her mother seems to think everything is ok, but i am not sure. it frustrates me because if she need help i feel they should get it for her. does she have a problem?

megs201

Asked by megs201 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk to her mother about it & advise her to just take her to the doctor just to be on the safe side
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 12:36 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• If her doctor thinks she's fine then I wouldn't worry about it

Answer by admckenzie at 12:37 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• There are website you can go to to see when thy are suppose to hit their milestones, and when to be concerned if they haven't... If it were me, I'd be talking to her mom. Make sure you are poliet and tell her, it's only because you care about her and her daughter. Some doctors don't like bringing up the things wrong with kids, hoping the parents will question it. My cousin, who is almost 2, doesn't walk, failed his hearing tests when he was a newborn, doesn't have any facial expressions, Says only 3 words, which are really hard to understand, doesn't get nervous when around strangers, doesn't feed himself... The list goes on, and her doctor hasnt said anything to her about it..... So she thinks everything is fine...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• as long as she is UTD on shots, she's been going to the doctor, and they haven't said anything is wrong with her yet.
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 12:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• thanks everyone....ive been really torn with this. i really would like to say something to her parent to parent, but some of her family members AND pediatrician have already said something about getting an evaluation and she vents to me about how crazy they all are. her daughter is also very thin (37 in 25 lbs) and i really think it is because she gets frustrated eating because she seems to have trouble eating....i really dont want to ruin our friendship and she already seems so defensive, but i am almost to the point that i dont want to watch her anymore because it angers me her mom wont help.
    megs201

Comment by megs201 (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My little one would be right along the same lines as hers and she is all caught up now. They all develop at different ages and I am sure she has discussed things with the doctor so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:01 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• And she weighs more than my little ones of the same age and height did, sometimes little ones are thin. I would ask her if she has noticed her having troubles eating but that would be a bout it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:04 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• try to talk to the baby like an adult.. my daughter used to wake up at 10 and so i would read her my school books . my daughter is 3 now and already can comprehend so much, i personally think its because i talk to her not like she is a baby but a little person..
    kyiahsmommy

Answer by kyiahsmommy at 1:24 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• my 14 month old is with me when i babysit her and i read to both of them and play 'wheres your belly? ears? etc' and use picture books and everything. my daughter can point to her belly toes nose ears and hair and the 20 month old doesnt even react. she just kind of gives you a blank stare
    megs201

Comment by megs201 (original poster) at 1:38 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• utd on shots has nothing to do with it. if her doctor is fine with it, then thats fine. my nephew is the same hes going to be 1 in april and isnt crawling he scoots but doesnt crawl hjust started sitting up ....

he was tiny when he was born and stayed tiny for a long time having to do with health stuff.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2011