How can I get my dog to understand?

I have a 6 yr. old golden retriever male he stays outside he has his dog house but just this past weekend I decided to put an old sofa cushion in his house he seemed to like it at first but everytime I look outside to check on him some how his top of his house is halfway off so I have to go and fix it well this is the third time this has happened I am gonna leave it like that for tonight bc it is very dark right now to fix it and it is wet too (the ground that is) Everytime I put something in his house to keep him warm he chews and shreds it. What can I do as of now? Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Pets

• if he doesn't want anything in there, then there's not much you can do except honor his wishes :( sorry i can't be of more help
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 1:29 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I've had this same problem before.  My hub built his dog a dog house with carpet in it because she wouldn't keep anything in there that was padded.  If you have an old piece of carpet and nail it down on the inside, it might stop her from destroying it for at least a little bit.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I have a pitt/la mix, more lab then pitt I know that. If a dog gets cold, he will cuddle up and get warm, or bark insistently. But like Kitty said, if the dog doesn't want to do it, they will not. When he has his head hanging off the cushion, is his head visable? Can u see it when u look out? Its possible all he wants to do ios keep watch on his humans
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:52 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• You can buy the shredded bark stuff that they sell for animals to keep warm. Other than that I don't know what to say other than bring the dog into the house if possible or into the basement or garage.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:55 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Umm, maybe try bringing him INSIDE where he belongs??? Dogs are PACK animals and you and your family are his PACK. He is probably tearing the stuff up because he is either bored or lonely!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Some dogs are destructive, sometimes it can be a result of boredom too. Goldens do want to be with their family members, I agree that they don't typically do well housed separate from the family members. It very well could be a result of the separation and a display of frustration on his part.

Don't underestimate the intelligence of any animal. He pushes it up= you come out to fix it. Volia...instant attention. I would bet that he has figured out the roof pushing as an attention seeking device. There isn't much you can do except duct tape the roof onto the house perhaps.

I think your dog is smart, bored, and looking for more companionship or attention.

For warmth, use straw because it is the best insulator. Plus he won't chew it up. If you are just trying to give him something comfy...well, I think he is telling you that he isn't happy with the cushion. He would really like share a couch with you, not just the cushion!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:49 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i do not think he wants anything there,
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 11:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Why in God's name is your dog in a doghouse? I have to agree with CollinBayleeMom. Dogs are pack animals are not meant to live in solitude. Take the hint that he is unhappy!
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 12:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• yeah, sorry, he does sound unhappy. but if youre going to keep him outside and it is cold, buy straw in bails. very cheap. rip it apart and throw it in. he can chew on it and throw it around, and its not a big deal b/c its cheap and replaceable.
    the chewing on everything is from boredom. they need stimulation. especially a golden retriever.
    im sorry, but i would not have a dog just to throw him outside and be alone. some dogs are outside dogs, they just don't like inside at all, but your dog is not one of those kinds of dogs. good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• bring a dog in the house were he belongs? if i remember right dogs are animals and animals natural habitats are outside. don't let people make you feel bad about having him outside. all dogs chew. he might be making it more comfy that way. dogs are pack animals, but did you ever hear of the lone wolf. lots of them go off alone. dogs came from wolves. i do dog rescue, mostly small old ones that no one would adopt. i have a couple that will not stay inside. i have a wooden building with heat lamps and beds for them. i have a radio and lights for them. they have a fenced in area outside the building to go out in whenever they want to. lots of toys and more than one to keep the other company. maybe u should get him a friend. give him raw hide chewies and stuffed animals. take the eyes out so he doesnt swallow them. good luck and God bless.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2011