Sippy cup issues.....

My son is almost 10 months old. He's willing to hold a sippy cup and attempt to drink from it but it's like the flow is too fast for him because he gags a little and the milk just kind of goes everywhere so I keep having to go back to a bottle. Just wanted to know if it was normal for an almost 10 month old to not be able to handle the flow of a sippy cup. BTW I've tried 4 different brands of sippy cups....all the same reaction. Should I just keep trying to introduce it to him until he gets the hang of it?

courtloux_128

Asked by courtloux_128 at 2:26 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's still young, don't stress out too much :) I had a similar issue with my youngest, we finally found the "Sassy" brand with the silicone top. He really liked those, and once he was comfortable with those (maybe a month), he would easily use about any type of sippy cup.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:24 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• hav u tried the ones w/ the silicone spout..? They also hav som w/ a very slow flow almost on the same level of a bottle. It took me som time b4 I found a perfect match for my little ones. Im sure theres one out there for ur little one.. Jus takes a lil trial & era..
    tiamesmer

Answer by tiamesmer at 2:31 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• He'll get the hang of it eventually.. and u never know u jus may find that perfect one while out & about jus browsing the stores. like I said it took me a min b4 I found that perfect one & when I did... I stocked up! lol! He'll get the sippy cup dwn packed n no time.. Then he isnt gona wanna giv that up either.. My ex hubby wanted to kill me when he knew my daughter was still crying 4 her "chup chup" at almost the age of five.. lol
    tiamesmer

Answer by tiamesmer at 2:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I wouldn't bother with talking the bottle away until 12 months. Just keep trying out cups.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Playtex stage 1 is good if you haven't tried that already. Don't pick a spout that is like a nipple on a bottle. Meaning silicone and flexible. Pick a harder plastic type.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:36 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I have tried every different spout there is lol. He prefers the silicone spout but it's mostly the fast flow that he doesn't like. I guess I shouldn't stress too much. But I worry I'm never going to get him transitioned from a bottle to a sippy.
    courtloux_128

Comment by courtloux_128 (original poster) at 2:45 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Mine actually preferred and got used to a straw cup before a regular sippy. She's 2 1/2 now and although she can drink out of a regular cup I still give her sippys if she's sitting on my bed or somewhere I don't want it spilled everywhere. :D
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 3:45 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Thanks ladies. I know I need to not stress about it. It just helps to know my son isn't the only one.
    courtloux_128

Comment by courtloux_128 (original poster) at 4:00 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• He'll get it eventually. The little boy I take care of didn't get it until around 12 months. Just let him experiment every so often.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• my son preferred the straw over the actual cup too, hes 10 months also. I had a hard time with the actual cup bc it came out too fast he was drown in it. I found a cup from babies r us , made by playtex, that had a straw and on the sides if "mommy" squeezed it the milk would come up the straw so he would get a little taste and want to drink it. They also had different levels of flow for different ages
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 9:01 AM on Jan. 27, 2011