Lacation Consultants

I'm currently pregnant with my second child. but when he's born i'll be a "virgin" nurser. I have gone to my wic office to talk to a lactation consultant for help and they are bitches. I didn't know if there was a website that offered like an online agent type thing that i could talk to after i have the baby and i'm having problems?

AustinsMommy306

Asked by AustinsMommy306 at 2:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Do you know where you're going to deliver? Most hospitals have lactation consultants you can go speak with, get advice and help. You could also check several websites:

http://www.kellymom.com/

http://www.llli.org/resources/assistance.html?m=0,0

Good luck!

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You can try Le Leche League. Also many hospitals have lactation consultants. Do you have any friends or family that breast fed? That was very helpful for me. The other thing is to read books about it. Then you know what to expect and what your goals are. I read a ton and even though it was tough, I never saw a lactation consultant. Other than one month of supplementing when he was first born and I didn't know any better, I nursed very successfully for 18 months. You can pm any time you want with questions or anything. :)

reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 2:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Your hospital should be able to provide you with all the information you need. I recommend The
    Nursing Mother's Companion (book). My hospital as well as my doctor's office actually gave me a smaller version of the book, it's pretty popular!

Sometimes consultants can be kinda pushy (so of them are downright crazy!) but remember: they want you to be a successful breastfeeder almost as much as you do! Listen to what they tell you, then come on here and vent to us. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2008