Sooo jealous. :(

I've been struggling trying to lose the baby weight for 7 months. Eating healthy, exercising, the works. And the scale never budges. I'm even doing weight watchers! Every pound sticks to me like glue. But a friend of mine, she says it has been sooo easy losing the weight. She's actually losing more weight than her original goal, just because it's been so easy. I read that and I wanted to cry! It's so unfair, why can't I lose weight?! Is there a secret to weight loss I haven't figured out yet??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Your friend could be fudging the truth. Don't worry about what anyone else is losing, worry about you only. After I had my 2nd baby, I went for my 6 week checkup and I was horrified that I hadn't lost any weight. I told my dr(who was a very thin lady) and she just said to give myself a break and not beat myself up over it. I went home with determination on my mind. I got really serious about losing weight. I made dh diet with me lol. I have to say it was a heck of a lot easier when I had a buddy doing it with me and no junk food in the house and no eating out expectations from dh. I lost ALL of the baby weight plus more in 4 months. And I wasn't exercising because I had to watch kids. I could have lost it even faster had I been exercising. Tell me what you're eating and maybe I can spot the problem.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I hear FIBER is very helpful!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Are you eating enough calories? What types of workouts are you doing? PM me and I'll try to help you. I lost 57 lbs in 9 months to hit my goal weight of 110 lbs by eating well and working out 6 days per week.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:19 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Try not to be jealous. I have the same issue with someone very close to me. I have to work very, very hard to maintain a healthy body weight while this gal just goes low-carb for a couple of weeks and loses 10 pounds. It's always been this way between us. I try to look at it this way...she may have a much easier time losing the weight but A) I appreciate it more when I do because I bust my A$$ for it and B) I am actually healthier because I achieve my weight loss (slow as it may be) through a nutritious diet and vigorous exercise. C) I have really developed a sense of determination and perseverance through my journey. It has helped shape me into a better person who has an iron will.
    Now chin up! And yes, take this opportunity to expand on what you're doing to lose weight so we can help you figure out why you aren't acheiving your desired results. I have lots of experience with this--LOTS.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:36 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Thank you all for your replies. I'm following weight watchers, and I never go over my points. I exercise 4 days per week, sometimes more. I don't know how many calories I'm having, because weight watchers goes by a point system and not counting calories. I have a lot of fruit and vegetables, I don't eat late at night. I have yogurt, 1% milk, and 2% cheese for dairy. I don't eat a lot of meat, except for chicken a couple days per week. I have egg white omelets. Sometimes I'll have vegetable soup, but I make a lot of recipes on weightwatchers.com and they're always very healthy. I just don't know what could be the problem. My thyroid has been checked, it was fine. Should I stop weight watchers (I've been on it a month, have lost nothing!) and start counting calories instead? Should I do low carb?? I feel hopeless. I have 18 pounds to reach my pre-pregnancy weight. so far, I'm having NO luck!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:12 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• What are you doing for exercise? When I started on my weight loss journey, I lost a few pounds and then was stuck. I was pushing a stroller through my neighborhood, walking for anywhere from 1-2 hours, up hills, etc but after the first few pounds, I stopped losing. I didn't start again until I got SERIOUS with my exercise, meaning I stopped the walking and starting doing intense aerobic and strength training activity. It was hard at first--I was exhausted after just 10 or 15 minutes at first. But I kept going and going, setting new goals and building up to higher fitness levels...and losing weight. My point is that your body may be like mine--if you aren't kicking ass with your workouts, you may not be able to lose the weight you want.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:31 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I do cardio for 30 minutes (elliptical or jogging) and then I do light weights with a lot of reps. I'm trying to keep my muscles small. WIth the exercise I've firmed up noticeably, but it has done nothing to make me smaller. I'm a size 10 and my pre-preg. size was a 4. It's just frustrating. I also take a zumba class twice per month. I can't take it more than that because it gets expensive.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:39 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Maybe you need to add another 20 or 30 minutes of cardio for extra calorie burn. Look into interval training too. I would also increase the weights--go to 10 or 15 pounds. You will NOT bulk up, but you will firm up and create denser muscles, which will BURN MORE FAT. I believe that every pound of muscle you add to your body burns and additional 50 calories per day, so if you added just 5 pounds of muscle, you're burning an extra 250 calories per day!
    BTW, you may not be able to get back to a size 4. Everyone's body is different, but I know for many of us, our shape was just never the same after kids. I weigh a significant amount less now than I did before I had my children, but I wear the same size pants because my hips are bigger. I'm just trying to say make sure your expectations are realistic. Your goal should be health and a proper BMI, not necessarily a pants size that you may or may not be able to wear again.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:48 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I just had my second baby, after the first I got back to a size 4. I don't think my hips changed much the second time. If I can only get to a 6 and still be just as in shape and thin as I was before, I'll be happy with that. I'll definitely take your advice and do more cardio and weights. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:05 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Everyone is different and don't sweat it. Your friend could be fibbing just because some people like to have that attention. You are on the right path that that is what is important! Good luck and hang in there!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:15 AM on Jan. 27, 2011