Can a cyst cause positive pregnancy test?

I had my period in Sept. When I missed it in Oct I took a pg test but it was neg. After two weeks of cramps I went to dr who had a u/s done on oct 31 which "showed " a cyst. But I was still getting cramps and feeling wierd so on Nov 12th I retested and it was positive. Can the cyst cause a false positive or am I pg? If I still have a cyst will it hurt the pg? Could I have been pg in oct and showed a baby instead of a cyst? This is my fourth "pregnancy"

Bobbisbabies

Asked by Bobbisbabies at 2:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I don't know about it causing a false positive. But last year a friend of mine had a cyst and got pregnant. It is different for everyone, but her cyst grew at the same rate as the baby and after the baby was born, shrunk and hasn't been a problem. She was able to deliver vaginally too.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 2:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• no, a cyst can not cause a + pg test, it can not cause your body to release the HCG horomone, more tan likely you are and need to call your dr.
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 2:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• No the HcG hormone causes a positive pregnancy test, false postives are VERY rare.....I'd say your pregnant.
    Anonymous

• I dont know if this has any constellation, but in the beginning of my pregnancy, i had my first ultrasound done and it was a vaginal one. The doctor showed something round on the screen and said \
    "Your egg came from your right ovary, see you can see right there (pointed to a round thing on the screen) that is a cyst. It is natural and normal. Whichever ovary your egg came from, that ovary "spits" out extra hormones which makes a cyst."

so i guess he is saying whichever ovary the egg comes from, that ovary makes a little cyst which eventually goes away.

just some info i am not sure if that has anything to do with what you are talking about but. :)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• A ruptured cyst CAN cause a false positive. It happened to my little sister, she about lost it until they figured out what was going on. You can easily get pregnant with the cyst, but it's dangerous. If the cyst grows as fast as the baby and ruptures later it could mean surgery sooner than later. Either way, check it out with doc. Better safe than sorry.
    DRCMAC

Answer by DRCMAC at 4:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Actually, a cyst CAN cause a false positive. I experienced this first hand! On some HPT packages there is even a clause that says that an Ovarian cyst can cause the test to show positive when it is actually neg. My doctor said that it has something to do with the fluid that is released when the cyst ruptures, there are dectectable levels of HcG in the fluid.
    DaisyRae

Answer by DaisyRae at 11:17 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• NO a cyst ruptured or not CANNOT cause a positive. The ONLY reason for the test to be positive is the presence of HCG which is ONLY PRODUCED BY PREGNANCY. THe people that said a cyst can cause a false postive, You or your family member or whatever most likely were pregnant and had a miscarriage without knowing, happens to MANY MANY women.
    calikittie

Answer by calikittie at 7:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• By the way don't listen to everything your doctor tells you. Just like your parents they are NOT always right.
    calikittie