Do you flush in the middle of the night?

I used to, until I woke up my son (now a toddler) more than once. Now, unless "it's brown" I dare not "flush it down" in the middle of a quiet night. Call me superstitious, but it works for me. Hubby, OTOH, finds this gross and gets cranky about it sometimes. I tell him if he is that sensitive to a little paper and yellow in the bowl, he should use the half bath down the hall. I think maybe I'll have to strike a deal that HE gets up if our son wakes up.

Incidentally, I will vacuum while my son naps and it's ok, just something about an abrupt noise in the middle of the night.

JZ10FPM

Asked by JZ10FPM at 7:06 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• I dn't flush in the night. Honestly I stopped because it woke my daughter adn because our toilet would sometimes run and it woudl keep me up. But now I don't because it wakes ME up too much. I go at least 5 times a night, always have and thats only gotten worse since being pregnant. WE clean the toilet every few days anyway so its not a big deal. My husband used to complain but he eventually got used to it. HE does it now too on those rare occassions he gets up.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 12:24 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I don't think I have ever got up in the middle of the night. If they are napping or such then yes I still flush because it never bothers them.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:09 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• We always did when I was growing up, but my husband's family didn't. Our policy here is to flush, but if it doesn't get flushed, nobody really cares.

Answer by Bmat at 7:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• When I was pregnant my daughter was 2. She was a light sleeper. I did not flush in the middle of the night then. I never get up now.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:19 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'd probably handle it like you do....especially if he can choose to use another bathroom down the hall.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Your question is funny because we do the exact same thing. When we have company over, I don't tell them not to flush because I'm embarrassed, but if it is just my husband and I we don't flush all night. The bathrooms is right across the hall from my daughter's room and I'm always afraid she is going to wake up. I don't think we are the only ones doing this.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• ewwwwwwwwwwwww I always flush. Why don't you use the bathroom down the hall if you are afraid the baby will wake up?
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 7:13 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I used to be able to flush when mine were nwborns but as they became older babies they were awakened more easily and we stopped flushing.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 7:13 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• ya i do, or it breeds germs and stink
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• To answer the question: " Why don't you use the bathroom down the hall if you are afraid the baby will wake up?" Is because I use the master bath, attached to the bedroom, across the hall from my son's room.

My husband sleeps on the sofa, so he is already closer to the half bath (and he only goes in the am).

My bladder is starting to return to normal (finally), but some nights I still get up a few times. I keep the lid down, so odor isn't a problem and I'm not afraid of germs leaping out of the water to attach themselves on my hiney;-) besides, it is less than 8 hours and a cold water bath isn't a great bacterial medium anyhow.
    JZ10FPM

Comment by JZ10FPM (original poster) at 7:40 AM on Jan. 27, 2011