My brother is 18 and is dating a 16 year old with a 4 month old baby, is this wrong?

He is a junior in high school and so is she. From what we know about her, she is a good mom. Her baby is in daycare while she goes to school, other then that she takes care of him. My mom has no problem with it, TBH, I don't either, but a lot of people around us are shocked. I look at it this way 1. he is 18 and lives with dad, so there is not anything she can do about it anyway and 2. 80% of the kids at his high school are having sex, this girl just has more of a reason not to get pregnant again because she knows what it is like having a baby, and I would imagine, she now understands that having a baby with someone doesn't mean they will stick around (the father was gone the second he heard the word baby". To give some perspective, this school has about 5-10 pregnant girls walking around at any given time, so it's not like this is unheard of.

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 7:36 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• My thoughts on this are it is his life and his choice. You can't (not you, but people in general) can't walk around blind and think teens aren't having sex. And sometimes pregnancy happens. Could be they weren't "safe" about it or could just be because it happened. My grandma once told me (and she is pushing 80), do you really think your grandpa and I waited until marriage to have sex. And they were strict Catholics back in the day, Catholic school even. I feel for any teen, as its a great challenge! I am fortunate enough I never got pregnant until I planned to be. Could have happened though.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 7:41 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• tsk tskif he was my son i would try to persuade him to run and not deal with this mess. he is way too young to take on all of this drama. he should focus on his academics and his goals in life than some young baby mama who might end up getting pregnant a 2nd time by him/ wouldn't that be lovely?

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 7:59 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• He is too young for marriage and therefore, he shouldn't be dating her. She is way too young to be thinking about marriage. They both need to finish school and learn what it means to be a complete individual without a girlfriend or a boy friend. After all that's accomplished, if they still want to date, I would have no problem with it at all. Maturity is the main factor to be considered in this case.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:13 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Is it wrong...no.  He is an adult and can make choices for himself now. Honestly I say kudos to him.  

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i think its fine and he is 18 and its his choice. i hope he is around that baby alot because teenagers do not think it can happen again. they do not think that way. they just want to have fun. so just because he thinks he is being careful it can still happen. hopefully they are not having sex. its just his choice though. he should not be withs omeone that has a child though so young. its so limiting on what they can do and such a big responsiblity. but again he knew what he was getting into. everyone sees things differently good for him. but i hope she doesn;t just want him to be the baby daddy because she doesn;t have the real one. well i do not think anything wrong with it and its his own life.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i wouldnt want my son or brother to get involved with the girl unless he is fully aware that they are a packaged deal and he can not be in and out of their lives...
    knm51504

Answer by knm51504 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Wrong? For whom? I might be concerned about the problems that can come with it, but it isn't an issue of right or wrong, in my opinion....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• This belongs on an mtv special....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Make sure that an 18 yr old having sex with a 16 yr old is not a FELONY in your state.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Although I don't see anything wrong with this situation I hope your brother realizes the responsibilities that go along with dating a teen mom. If he's ready to accept that its going to be more difficult then a "normal" teenage relationship then I say more power to them, and kudos to your brother for stepping up to the plate, and treating the girl like another person and not a drag on society. Most 18 year old boys hear baby and they run, I think its very honorable he even considered dating her knowing she has a child. The only thing I would be worried about for your brother's end is not ending up in legal trouble, I don't know this girl from atom but I have heard stories where it was consenting in the relationship, and as soon as things turn sour she claims rape. I wouldn't want your brother caught in the middle because of age numbers and the law.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2011