I like to work out first thing in the morning (while my kids are still calm!). Is it ok to have a small breakfast before I work out, such as a bowl of cereal or toast?

evamarie12984

Asked by evamarie12984 at 7:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• When I worked out in the morning I would have some toast for a small granola bar. Just enough that I wasn't working out on an empty stomach, but I wasn't full either.

I can't workout on an empty stomach, so I had to have something. And then after the workout, I'd go for eggs and yogurt or something like that.
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 7:52 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yes, a very small meal or snack is fine. I can't work out on an empty stomach either. Just try to eat as little as possible beforehand, while still making sure you're getting enough to avoid a blood-sugar crash, because when you workout on an emptier stomach, your body is forced to go to its fat reserves for energy, which is what you want.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:36 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yes, small snack or meal is a good idea. My doc says a banana is a great thing to eat before working out so maybe have a banana with breakfast?
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:13 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Thanks everyone! I will definitely try the banana idea!
    evamarie12984

Comment by evamarie12984 (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It's actually recommended. A healthy mini meal will keep you energized through the workout and something like a banana (a higher sugar content fruit) enters your blood stream quicker than other foods, giving you a quick burst of energy, which the workout will burn off nicely, rather than storing the excess sugar as fat....so it's an excellent choice. Personally, because i'm a diabetic, I stick with a "mini" banana
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My trainer said to have a "mini meal" with protein and some healthy carbs before a work out. and another after to replenish, and to help keep your metabolism up.

So maybe 1 boiled egg and the toast, or peanut butter and the banana.....then maybe some nuts and a piece of fruit afterwards.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yep. What they said. Small meal.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 12:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yep Small an hour before you work out.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yes, keep it light and then wait about 20 mins you'll be fine!
    marnejones22

Answer by marnejones22 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yep! The concern is eating till you are full, and then you would want to wait a little bit.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2011