• In the Spotlight:

How much to expect out of a 10 year old???

I always keep snacks at my home for my kids. My 10 year old recently was told to bring snacks to school each day. Every morning, I am working and he is getting ready. He will watch tv, play and do everything but get ready. I am constantly checking on him to keep him on track. He waits until we are at the bus stop and tells me that he has no snack...... This after I ask him over and over to please make sure "you're ready" He will say "I am!".....I really don't expect much out of him and he only has to take care of his room and his things.

Do you think it is unreasonable for him to get his snack each day??

jalex

Asked by jalex at 8:33 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Nope. My 11 year old can do all that with very little reminding.

I would send him without a snack. Keep a note handy for the teacher explaining that he did not grab a snack and therefore will not have one at break time.

A couple days of him forgetting and not having one when the other kids have one should be enough to make him remember.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:39 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I have an 8 year old daughter who did the same thing. Our mornings were horrible. With me yelling and her crying. For the last couple weeks this is what we have been doing and it has made our mornings sooooooo much better!

The night before we we get her backpack ready including snack/water set it by the door. She also has to choose out what she will wear before bed.

She gets up at 6:30 and is not allowed tv until breakfast is eaten and she is ready for school this includes hair brushed, teeth brushed socks on etc. This was kind of a fight at first but Im the mom and I won. Now its smooth sailing. She usually gets this part done by 7;15. Then she can watch tv. At 7:30 she goes potty (never fails she will have snow pants on and have to go so now we go at 7:30 period lol) gets her snowpants/coat and we are out the door at 7:45.

What a difference this has made.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:39 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Also, does he have a tv in his room? If so, it is a distraction in the morning and should be removed. If he can prove that he can be responsible enough to get ready without dwadling, then he can earn it back.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• If he can't handle it, he can't handle it.
    I think the responsibilties should be laid out for each child according to their mindset and capabilities.
    I agree with the distractions, we do no added sugars, caffeine of any kind, little to no TV or videogames, no phones. You will be amazed at how different your kids will be when you start seeing your kid not filled with society.
    Put him to bed earlier and get him up a little earlier and you should see a difference within days. GL!!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:49 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• depends on the 10YO, what they are like as a person, what kinda life they've had, if they have any disabilities. Its a very broad question. I know my 10yo was not at the maturity level others were at due to his Autism
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Some kids need more help than others. You really should turn the TV off in the morning and you really should make sure everything is packed and ready the night before. Why not ask his teacher if he can bring a box of granola bars into the school and keep them there? My son and daughter always kept a box in their locker.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Tell him to do snacks for twice a week and then increase the amount. He is definitely old enough. My nephew was putting the alarm off in his house at the age of 7. My son's friend was mowing the lawn while in 4th grade. Every child is different but my child was really shy and was laid back with everything. But now you have to make sure you add on responsibilities otherwise when they hit hs they will be lost. My son now takes the alarm off and has his own key and a sahm mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I hate to admit it but I am so guilty of allowing sugar, tv, video games, and phones. I was not that Mom when i started out, I got lazy, overwhelmed, and I did let society into our lives. I just dont know how to fix it now! My 9 yr old needs constant reminding every morning.. it is the same thing every day. If I dont tell him over and over to do something he forgets. If I dont tell him to wash good in the shower ( every body part) he will get out and when I ask he says he forgot. My family says I baby him, but if I dont do it he wont. He wasted 20 minutes picking out what kind of gum he wanted to share with his friends this morning when he was continuously asked to brush his hair and his teeth. Finally I said whatever you are on your own and I went and started the car. He came out and of course nothing was done. All the mom's that have great ideas, how do you start??????????
    jamiet

Answer by jamiet at 9:27 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• You've gotten great advice so far. I will echo the advice to cut out the TV time in the AM. My boys are allowed to have a little play time before school, but only after they are ready for the day and their chores are done. TV on weekdays just doesn't happen.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Get your son to get his snack ready the night before. Tell him no TV and playing until he is ready.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2011