What have you learned or been taught about biblical numerology?

Ok.... Myself I've never done a whole lot of study into Bilical numerology (if that's what you'd call it). I have a friend and numbers are VERY significant to him, to the point that when he's "led" to minister, he's "guided" by numbers as to where to go, and who to pray for or who to minister to. Anyways, I came across an article earlier today that made reference to the numbers 1-13 and their supposed significance, which were similiar to what he's been taught, but not exactly the same. So in regards to this subject, do you have any links etc that can help me to discern this matter.Is this ungodly??? (Putting significance to a number) How much stock is there in numbers??? What have you been taught if at all in regards to numbers within the Bible??? Any and all info. would be greatly appreciated.

RepentantSinner

Asked by RepentantSinner at 2:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• well, I do numerology readings. I don't know if I do what you call biblical numerology though. numbers are an odd art. numbers like anything can be manipulated to a point. here's some info on biblical numberology http://www.carm.org/questions/numbers.htm and here's a site on just numberology http://www.spiritlink.com/num1.html.

Anonymous

• Deu 18:9 When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.

Deu 18:10 There shall not be found among you [any one] that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, [or] that useth divination, [or] an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,

Deu 18:11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

Deu 18:12 For all that do these things [are] an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

Deu 18:13 Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God.

Deu 18:14 For these nations, which thou shalt possess, hearkened unto observers of times, and unto diviners: but as for thee, the LORD thy God hath not suffered thee so [to do].

friends4me

Answer by friends4me at 5:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Deu 18:15 The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

Deu 18:16 According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not.

Deu 18:17 And the LORD said unto me, They have well [spoken that] which they have spoken.

friends4me

Answer by friends4me at 5:19 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i know numerology...but not biblical numerology. and from how i was taught , all numbers break down into 1-9 or 11 and 22...11 and 22 are special and not broken down.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I'm not sure what you mean, what I am thinking of is gematria, but that's more related to the Hebrew words than the english translation. (certain letters have certain numerical values, and the order that they are in is interpreted in different ways. LIke, there's three or more words with the same numerical value.) I've only read about gematria in passing through other books, and I'm totally all thumbs with numbers... google or wikipedia it if you wanna know more.

I'm probably totally wrong, but I tried. :) Please don't rant on me.
    aridattebayo

Answer by aridattebayo at 3:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Dear aridattebayo: First off I try very hard to never "rant" on people. Secondly, I did end up sort of finding what I was looking for last night, and yes it was gematria that I was referring to (well sorta). There are apparantly numerous articles out there about the significance of certain numbers (ie: 7=completion 3=trinity etc). I guess I'm still looking at how to discern the matter as to wether or not this would be approved of in God's eyes.
    RepentantSinner

Answer by RepentantSinner at 9:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2008