So I think my FIL is trying to use my husband's credit?????!!!

Two of those credit apps came in the mail addressed to my husband and under his name had the name of his step father's business. One also went to my MIL's house. Now yesterday my FIL called my husband asking if he could put his business under my husband's name. My husband told him no. How can we find out if he is trying to use his name? Credit report the only way? Will it show if he is trying to do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would freeze your credit report immediatly. This will prevent anyone from pulling it, thus allowing not allowing any new loans.
    And yes, check all of them for any new additions.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• YIKES. I would call the credit card companies, exifax(sp?) and all the rest of them to find out if there is anyway to find out! I would be livid!!!!1
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 9:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• There is a 3 month hold if you want. Just make sure, because parents are doing it will their young children's ss number too. GL, I had Identity theft and it really is horrible. This witch stole my ss and tried to steal 25,000 worth of merchandise. I never had to pay for anything because I spent 6 months clearing it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• There are also programs that you can buy that will alert you if any activity has happened on your credit report.  That's crappy, really.  I would start googling and find out what companies work best and check your hubs credit report.  The credit report will have loans and such on it but it might not be anything recent so I'd call them and check.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:12 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would first beat his ass if he tried that ....seriously though I would do what was suggested and freeze your credit report and find out if he is trying to use your hubby's credit. And if he is I would seriously think about pressing charges. And why would he want to put the business under ur hubby's name? What illegal shit is he trying to pull that he doesn't want to get busted for?
    Bird16_J

Answer by Bird16_J at 9:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Lol @ bird16 j!!! I know right! I'm getting a copy of his report tonight.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would freeze all credit cards and all access to your credit. Then notify the companies that you suspect someone is trying to use your credit. Explain your situation and then let them know who are the ONLY people allowed to use under your name. Which would be just yourself and your DH.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:36 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Go to annualcredireport.com to freeze his credit. Which is a very very very good idea. Also get a copy of his reports (before you freeze it) just to make sure everything on there is actually his. The freeze only lasts for 90 days. If you think you'll need it frozen for longer, contact the police and file a police report. Send a copy of that to the credit reporting agencies.

I am worried that you won't be able to freeze his account unless their is proof that someone has tried to steal his identity. It doesn't sound like you have proof yet, just suspicion.

I hope that you're FIL is just going through a momentary stupid phase and that this isn't something he will act on.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2011