Digestive Tract information.

My SO has had problems for a while including, several trips to the bathroom (right now averaging 7-10 a day) doing #2. Not diareeah. (Yes I know that is spelled wrong) Just softer stools. We have looked into Chrones disease, and Gall Bladder, but his pain is on the upper left side near his ribs, but on his side toward his back (the placing of the kidney). He has been treated for kidney problems and that didn't work. There are other sypmtoms, but I don't want to go into it, not nasty just too many to list.
My question is, What organ is located on your upper left side, that may be causing digestive problems?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Health

• Aside from the organs you mentioned, the only thing anywhere near there would be small intestines. Have you looked into food allergies?? Or maybe celiac disease?? ALso, I don't know if you went to the doc to check for Crohns, but with this type of thing you may want a second opinion. These types of things are often misdiagnosed(I have family members with Crohns and Celiac and they had trouble finding the problem). Good luck!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Oh my what you just described I was just in the emergency room for on Tuesday night (among other things). The doctors were actually checking for a slight GI tract bleed. I don't have ulcers so they were looking in my intestines. They did blood work to check my white and red blood cell counts and they determined that's what it was. Red blood cell count was a little low but nothing I'd need a transfusion for so they just released me and told me to watch it closely. If your SO suddenly gets dizzy or starts passing dark/tarry stools go to the ER.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 3:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Get the liver checked..see you can have pain in a certain spot ,but it is really somewhere else. On your left side you have liver, gallbladder, very close together. But I am not a doctor ...so I would tell him to go a specialist..
    getyoung

Answer by getyoung at 4:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• He needs to leave the diagnosing to the doctor. He really should be seen by a gastrointereolgist. It could be an ucler in his intestines....it could be a ton of things! Don't forget just how long your intestines are!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i would say irritable bowel or an small bowel obstruction. take him back to the doc and make them do ultrasounds and xrays and things until you know what is going on.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 8:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• THere are a lot of things it could be. If the pain is bad- and they can't figure out why- he may want to see if they'll do an endoscopy or colonoscopy. I'd definitely try to have him see a gastroenterologist for an expert opinion. Your liver is on your right side- so I would doubt the liver would cause left sided pain. But on your left is your spleen, pancreas and stomach. So it could be many things. I work with colorectal surgery patients and there are a lot of treatable things out there- you just have to get in to see someone who can give you the answers you need!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2008