I plan on asking the doctor this, seems like a silly question, but it's been bothering me!

I had to have a c-section with my last pregnancy because of how much meconium there was in my water. My son's heart rate was perfectly fine and I was actually a week early. I was thinking that maybe the spicy food the night before had something to do with it? Just for fun I went out with friends, got the spiciest thing on the menu, then added the spiciest salsa that they had. Honestly I don't remember it bothering MY stomach much but maybe it bothered his?

If not I was also wondering if drinking coffee can cause meconium? Towards the end I was working full time and extremely tired so I started drinking coffee again in the morning. Well, coffee makes people go, so I started thinking, why not make a baby go too? I've googled this and got nothing.

Right now I'm 26 weeks pregnant with our second and last baby. The doctor has already OK'd me delivering naturally for this one, but I'm worried that there will be meconium again. I didn't even get to feel a painful contraction last time which sounds stupid, but I feel like I missed out on my labor story. Plus another c-section scares me. I was so drugged up afterwards I barely remember his first few days of life. :[

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No, neither would have caused that. But ask your doctor to be sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I don't believe coffee will cause that b/c I drank a cup everyday with both my kids, and they were born nautrally just fine. Meconium is usually a stress reaction of the baby. Were you dehydrated? that can cause stress on the baby which in turn could have caused the meconium.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Meconium doesn't have to equal emergency.
    If you work for the healthiest pregnancy & birth experience then you can avoid unnecessary interventions.

A cesarean is more risky than a vaginal delivery and we *do* have birth experience needs, too...
    It is not JUST about having a healthy baby.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2011