Anyone use Proactiv?

My 11 yr old has been getting pimples along his hair line for about a year now, he uses stridex pads but he still gets them and they are starting on his cheeks now. I am worried about it getting worse.

Would proactiv be worth it or is it overkill at this point?

Charis76

Asked by Charis76 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Truthfully I would have him see a dermatologist about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I used it as a teenager and all it did was dry out my skin. It didn't seem to help my friends either
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Proactive does work for lots of people, but it burned my skin so badly that I ended up going to the dermatologist to correct that. I don't have acne, but I break out here and there during menses, and I think Proactive was just too intense for me.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:48 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It works great for a couple of months, then it just stops working. It is great if you have a bad acne problem though
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My brother and I tried it. The proactive worked for him but it made my acne much much worse, I had to stop and go see my dermatologist to get something to help it.
    I suggest taking your son to see a dermatologist. They can suggest the best action plan and might have something better to suggest that is also more affordable.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would take him to a dermatologist. People react differently to OTC acne remedies, a dermatologist usually can get the situation cleared up quickly.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Thanks Ladies!
    Charis76

Comment by Charis76 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I used Proactiv and it does work, but there are a few caveats.

One, it made my skin red and more sun sensitive.
    Two, make sure your skin is dry before you dress or it will bleach/stain your clothes.
    Three, use white towels and bed linens - same reason
    Four, if you ever stop using it, you will get rebound acne worse than before, at least for several months.

In my teens, my doctor suggested washing 2x a day, then using a good, water-based moisturizer. (Washing strips the skin of protective oils, which your skin works harder to replenish. Moisturizer helps cut the oil production.) Use WHITE pillowcases. Flip my pillowcase so that I sleep on a clean side, then wash every other day. (in other words, wash pillowcases 3-4 times a week, flip on non-washing days so your face never touches the same spot.) Don't rest your face on your hands/touch your face excessively. Drink 8 glasses of clear water a day. And no picking!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I use it!  When I'm pregnant I start breaking out really bad!  It works great!  You'll have to see if your kid needs the regular strength or the more gentle formula.  It's 20 bucks a month. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Hi,

I have used proactiv & it works best.. nothing beats it. I have been through acne for some 10 years now.. but m glad that Proactiv is in India. I tried everything when everything else did not work for me. I have tried everything listed on internet & been to countless doctors. I get laser done for my face & what helps me controlling my breakout after that is Refining Mask. Anything that i use after laser burns like crazy but refining mask helps me control my breakouts & close my pores.

Wish you all the best.

Divya
    Divya_arora

Answer by Divya_arora at 1:01 AM on Jan. 28, 2011