Moms please help, my grandaughter started not wanting to be put to bed

She is 2 years old, we use to put her down in the crib and she would go to sleep, now my daughter has moved her to a toddler bed because she was climbing out, well now when she is put down she starts to cry, its the same bed we just made it the toddler version, she has to climb in the bed with her until she finally goes to sleep. Any suggestions?? Thank you

Gran1954

Asked by Gran1954 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It may take a few nights of crying. Have you tried some special sheets (that your gdaughter picked out?), or a special new "big girl" lovey (teddy bear, stuffed whatever) now that she's in a "big girl" bed, or a flashlight (they make the kid ones that shut off after a certain amount of time), or maybe a CD of soft music to help her get to sleep?

Answer by missanc at 10:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• We had this prob with my daughter. Moving from the security of a crib to the openess of a bed is scary for little ones. I had to get a light (the ones that clip on for dorm rooms) and leave it on all night. I hate it, but its the only way my 3 y/o will sleep thru the night. The dark is scary. She also has a lovey and special pillow. You can also try bed time routine, bath, jammies, bedtime snack/drink, reading a book until she is sleepy. The routine will help with the security issue and the lovey gives her something to hold on to. We also do what my husband has named "crazy crazy bedtime". about an hour before bed we let the kids run around like crazy people for about 15 minutes to burn of any excess energy, then start the bedtime routine. It has helped. Good Luck!
    Jackie1081

Answer by Jackie1081 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'm about to go through this with my second daughter, ugh. With my first, we just kept her room mostly toy free (big pain for awhile, but it helped) and then closed the door and let her do what she was going to do. At the beginning, she spent a lot of nights crawling over to the door and peeking out the bottom and falling asleep there. But after about a week, she just started staying in bed and falling asleep. I think it takes a little time because they are right at that age where they learn that they can control when they go to sleep, and that there are things that they'd rather be doing.
    Maisy19

Answer by Maisy19 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 27, 2011